Re: [EOSS_Private] RE: [DMSC] Interesting Weather Balloon project..

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2005
      Hi Guys,

      There's a CAP group that has done some ballooning out here in the
      midwest going by the name CAPNSPACE (as I recall). They can prolly
      tell you how they integrated ballooning in with CAP ELT chasing.

      Pretty sure they're up on one of the more popular email reflectors,
      which I've cc'ed to this email.

      And all comers are more than welcome to come out to any EOSS flight
      to learn more about the operations both from a launch and tracking &
      recovery standpoint. Let us know if you have a payload you wanna fly -
      we usually have a lb or so of spare payload budget on most of our
      flights.

      73 de Mike W5VSI
      Prez EOSS

      Rick von Glahn wrote:

      > Gunner,
      >
      > Greetings from Edge of Space Sciences. We would be glad to have you and the
      > CAP guys come out to a launch.
      >
      > EOSS usually flies at least two payloads. One of them is a pure RF radio
      > direction finding beacon. It transmits continuous morse code announcing its
      > identity and that is about all. It transmits (usually again) on 147.555 MHz.
      > The second payload is an APRS package which sends out the payload's current
      > latitude, longitude and altitude. For more on APRS see:
      >
      > http://www.eoss.org/aprs/index.html
      >
      > So, for CAP you could chase down the RF target in a manner similar to going
      > after ELT transmitters, or you could go slightly higher tech and monitor the
      > APRS data and just track the flight's progress.
      >
      > Be advised that the directionality of antennas is pretty much bound to them
      > being properly designed to be resonant on the frequency of the target. For
      > instance, many ham radio RDF types have tried to use their two meter beams to
      > track down an ELT on 121.5 MHz. About all you can reliably tell with that far
      > a mismatch is that the target is somewhere to one side of you and probably
      > NOT on the other side. When you track at the antenna's resonant frequency you
      > get a pretty sharp indication of just were the signal is emanating from +- the
      > beam width of that particular design.
      >
      > Getting started. Well, let's see... I would go to:
      >
      > http://www.eoss.org/flight/index.html
      >
      > That page has our upcoming flight information. In this case we plan to fly in
      > February. If you look at the bottom of the page you will see the expected
      > flight schedule for next year. It will be pretty busy starting in April. On
      > that web page you can also find the payloads and the frequencies we plan to
      > use. Occasionally we change the payloads and frequencies around. But there is
      > almost always a beacon transmitting somewhere in the 144 to 148 MHz range.
      >
      > Next you should visit:
      >
      > http://www.eoss.org/rdf/index.html
      >
      > That link takes you to the Tracking and Recovery section of our website. EOSS
      > has flown 100 flights and recovered them all. But our most immediate concern
      > for each flight is the safety of the hunting teams. So, read that page and the
      > indicated links as a "getting started" process.
      >
      > Once you've read all that if you have any questions give me a shout. I'm the
      > webmaster at EOSS and my email address is posted at the bottom of every page.
      > If I can answer I will, but we, naturally, have a large group of folks who can
      > discuss any aspect of this activity. Just remember, this is an avocation for
      > everyone and they may need to actually pay attention to their families or job
      > and put off questions about EOSS.
      >
      > 73 -- Rick, NØKKZ

      Einstein
    • Troy Campbell
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 27, 2005
        Gunner,

        We've been doing ARHAB launches with CAP practice beacons (121.775 mhz) for about a year.   We got an FAA tech that was going to discard an ELT to donate it instead, installed a new crystal and had it tuned and alligned.  We only use 6volts on it so it doesn't put out the same wattage as even the practice beacons that squadrons' use.

        It's a great way to get cadets involved in the Near Space program and is a Very good backup for recovery ops.  We primarily use APRS but have a 2 meter voice beacon and the practice ELT .   In the future, maybe we'll get the Wing to coordinate a SAREX with us and they can use an aircraft for recovery.

        Let me know if you want more information on using them.  Surprisingly (to me anyway) you can get a good elevation with an ELPR and we have had one 'find' using only the ELT.

        www.capnspace.org

        73 de Troy, KC0MIC
        Director, Near Space Ventures, Inc.

        Troy M. Campbell,  Maj, USAF Aux-CAP
        Director, CAP Near Space Program
        DAE, Missouri Wing
        SPO, North Central Region

        Rick von Glahn wrote:

        > Gunner,
        >
        > Greetings from Edge of Space Sciences. We would be glad to have you and the
        > CAP guys come out to a launch.
        >
        > EOSS usually flies at least two payloads. One of them is a pure RF radio
        > direction finding beacon. It transmits continuous morse code announcing its
        > identity and that is about all. It transmits (usually again) on 147.555 MHz.
        > The second payload is an APRS package which sends out the payload's current
        > latitude, longitude and altitude. For more on APRS see:
        >
        > http://www.eoss.org/aprs/index.html
        >
        > So, for CAP you could chase down the RF target in a manner similar to going
        > after ELT transmitters, or you could go slightly higher tech and monitor the
        > APRS data and just track the flight's progress.
        >
        > Be advised that the directionality of antennas is pretty much bound to them
        > being properly designed to be resonant on the frequency of the target. For
        > instance, many ham radio RDF types have tried to use their two meter beams to
        > track down an ELT on 121.5 MHz. About all you can reliably tell with that far
        > a mismatch is that the target is  somewhere to one side of you and probably
        > NOT on the other side. When you track at the antenna's resonant frequency you
        > get a pretty sharp indication of just were the signal is emanating from +- the
        > beam width of that particular design.
        >
        > Getting started. Well, let's see... I would go to:
        >
        > http://www.eoss.org/flight/index.html
        >
        > That page has our upcoming flight information. In this case we plan to fly in
        > February. If you look at the bottom of the page you will see the expected
        > flight schedule for next year. It will be pretty busy starting in April. On
        > that web page you can also find the payloads and the frequencies we plan to
        > use. Occasionally we change the payloads and frequencies around. But there is
        > almost always a beacon transmitting somewhere in the 144 to 148 MHz range.
        >
        > Next you should visit:
        >
        > http://www.eoss.org/rdf/index.html
        >
        > That link takes you to the Tracking and Recovery section of our website. EOSS
        > has flown 100 flights and recovered them all. But our most immediate concern
        > for each flight is the safety of the hunting teams. So, read that page and the
        > indicated links as a "getting started" process.
        >
        > Once you've read all that if you have any questions give me a shout. I'm the
        > webmaster at EOSS and my email address is posted at the bottom of every page.
        > If I can answer I will, but we, naturally, have a large group of folks who can
        > discuss any aspect of this activity. Just remember, this is an avocation for
        > everyone and they may need to actually pay attention to their families or job
        > and put off questions about EOSS.
        >
        > 73 -- Rick, NØKKZ

        Mike Manes    manes@...     Tel: 303-979-4899
        "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so."  A.
        Einstein