Re: [GPSL] > 2. UV degradation of latex (?)

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30 10:05 PM
      Not sure whether UV degradation had any effect on our floater flights in December 2004 but here's some details of the 4 flights:

      All four floater flights were pretty much as follows:

      Scientific Sales 1500 gram balloon (Sept 2004 batch)
      1.5 lb flight train
      1.75 to 2.50 lb nozzle lift

      Ascent rates from 275 to 400 ft/min

      The December 4th flight was launched in the morning - 400 ft/min ascent rate....it achieved float for just 2 hours before bursting in mid afternoon.

      Flights 2 and 3 in Dec. 18th were launched around 1:00 pm or so....and never achieved maximum altitude before losing sunlight....they levelled off at 98 and 105k ft.....one was heard again the next morning near Nova Scotia and apparently burst 3 hours after sunrise after 22 hours in the air....it had apparently been slowly descending during the night since that's the only way it could've hit winds that would put it in New England.....  275ft/min and 350 ft/min for the seperate balloons.

      Flight 4 on Dec 26th

      Launched around 1:00 pm and reached maximum altitude in late afternoon before sunset....batteries froze out after sunset after a few hours of float on it's way to the Bermuda Triangle.

      Perhaps a series of identical floater flights both during the day and some during night would answer the UV question.

      - Bill WB8ELK

      I'm going to try an intentional floater flight soon using these same conditions from the same batch of balloons...perhaps this weekend.