[Fwd: Potential Low Cost Video Camera for Balloon]]

  • Don KA0JLF
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
      Oh, I see, the email I sent it from was not subscribed
      to send to the list(s).

      Sorry,
      Don

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
        > > > http://www.2fidelity.com/ this is the camera
        > > Larry M and I have now

        Don,

        This looks like a capable gizmo. Do you have any samples
        of straight jpegs done with this camera in still mode on
        your website at present?

        I'd like to see how it performs that way.

        Hank

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • kc0mic
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
          All,

          After checking around the 'net and reading some reviews, I checked out
          the www.aiptek.com site and found that they had the camera that
          HABITAT-SKYLAB is using (the DV-5900) either new or refurbished.
          (Could not find one at a Walmart.)

          The refurb price was $119.00 and the new price is $150.00
          Guess which one I bought ?

          Anyway, there were a couple of reviews that made a reference to the to
          big improvements make between the previous model (DV4100) and this
          one. Add the ability to use 1gb SD as opposed to 512mb and I figured
          the extra $20 was worth it.

          I thought about the next step up, th IS-DV, but I'm not as sure about
          the Li-Lon batteries as I'd like to be. Refurbs are only $10 more but
          the kickers were - "none of the improvements added any video time",
          "they had the same number of pixels" and "somebody else has done it
          with the DV-5900 so we should be able to get it to work".

          We plan on flying it on 27-Sep or 15-Oct. We'll post the results.

          Like Don, I'd sure like to point one up and one down :-) Getting good
          information about 'post-burst chaos' would make it easier to design
          some sort of 'burst detector' that you let you cutaway the balloon at
          burst automatically instead of just guess at it.

          Don... Did you use external batteries ? If not, what did you use and
          how did they last? Did you make any mods to the camera or just turn
          it on? How many minutes did 1gb hold?

          Thanks!

          73 de Troy, KC0MIC

        • Don KA0JLF
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
            No but I'll try to throw one up there right away. I've
            got some of the mission commander "Major Happy" right
            after recovery.

            I don't think it was at the best resolution it will
            do.

            Don

            --- Hank Riley <n1ltv@...> wrote:

            > camera
            > > > Larry M and I have now
            >
            > Don,
            >
            > This looks like a capable gizmo. Do you have any
            > samples
            > of straight jpegs done with this camera in still
            > mode on
            > your website at present?
            >
            > I'd like to see how it performs that way.
            >
            > Hank

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Don KA0JLF
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
              --- kc0mic <kc0mic@...> wrote:

              > All,
              >
              > After checking around the 'net and reading some
              > reviews, I checked out the www.aiptek.com site and
              found that they had the
              > camera that HABITAT-SKYLAB is using (the DV-5900)
              either new or refurbished.
              > (Could not find one at a Walmart.)

              When I got mine, the Walmart at 75th & I-35 (E
              frontage rd) they had several. They were in a locked
              case with other cameras, clerk had to get it.

              > The refurb price was $119.00 and the new price is
              > $150.00 Guess which one I bought ?

              Mine was new, and with tax about $110.

              > Anyway, there were a couple of reviews that made a
              > reference to the to
              > big improvements make between the previous model
              > (DV4100) and this
              > one. Add the ability to use 1gb SD as opposed to
              > 512mb and I figured
              > the extra $20 was worth it.

              Me too, Larry M had the older one (link sent by David)
              but it was limited to the 512 MB.

              > I thought about the next step up, th IS-DV, but I'm
              > not as sure about
              > the Li-Lon batteries as I'd like to be. Refurbs are
              > only $10 more but
              > the kickers were - "none of the improvements added
              > any video time",
              > "they had the same number of pixels" and "somebody
              > else has done it
              > with the DV-5900 so we should be able to get it to
              > work".

              We have the DV-5900 as you said before.

              > We plan on flying it on 27-Sep or 15-Oct. We'll
              > post the results.

              We have flights scheduled for 8/28/05 and 9/10/05. We
              should have the ATV connected to it today at our work
              session. Using the included A/V cable.

              > Like Don, I'd sure like to point one up and one down
              > :-) Getting good
              > information about 'post-burst chaos' would make it
              > easier to design
              > some sort of 'burst detector' that you let you
              > cutaway the balloon at
              > burst automatically instead of just guess at it.

              I think you would be surprised about the flight up
              too, pre-burst. I was!

              > Don... Did you use external batteries ? If not,
              > what did you use and how did they last?

              Internal, NiMH 2300 mah, from Associated Radio, worked
              well. They lasted longer than I realized. Other words,
              I haven't timed them. However, they not only recorded
              the flight, but played it back several times (or parts
              of it). On this last flight, the record time was about
              2 hours. We played it back at lunch full length
              (another 2 hours). I started and stopped it several
              times, and took some photos with it.

              > Did you make any mods to the camera or just turn
              > it on?

              No, just turned it on and put it in the capsule.

              > How many minutes did 1gb hold?

              I have gotten over 2 1/2 hours, Larry M too if I
              remember right.

              How much it will hold depends on how much the scene
              changes I think. But package says for a 1 GB at QVGA
              (352x288) 128 - 192 minutes. I'd say that is about
              right. Larry M got the entire flight at GPSL.

              > Thanks!
              >
              > 73 de Troy, KC0MIC
              >

              > --- In GPSL@yahoogroups.com, Don KA0JLF
              > <ka0jlf@a...> wrote:
              > > Oh, I see, the email I sent it from was not
              > subscribed
              > > to send to the list(s).
              > >
              > > Sorry,
              > > Don

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Don KA0JLF
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
                3 photos of the mission commander have been added to
                the http://www.habitatskylab.org web page. These are
                right out of the camera, no editing or sizing etc.

                Now I took these in bright sunlight minutes after the
                flight, it was hard to see the LCD screen (brightness
                can be adjusted I think through the menu). So it might
                not be the best focus, due to operator error but it
                gives you an idea. These might not be representative
                of the best the camera can do, condensation after the
                flight, dusty road, etc. But it gives a clue.

                Don

                --- Don KA0JLF <ka0jlf@...> wrote:

                > No but I'll try to throw one up there right away.
                > I've got some of the mission commander "Major Happy"
                > right after recovery.
                >
                > I don't think it was at the best resolution it will
                > do.
                >
                > Don

                > > camera
                > >
                > > Don,
                > >
                > > This looks like a capable gizmo. Do you have any
                > > samples
                > > of straight jpegs done with this camera in still
                > > mode on
                > > your website at present?
                > >
                > > I'd like to see how it performs that way.
                > >
                > > Hank

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Don KA0JLF
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
                  Oh, some other things that I haven't tried yet but did
                  have some interest in:
                  Digital voice recorder
                  MP3 player

                  Thinking of SSTV, capture on the balloon. Or digital
                  voice recorder of simplex repeaters, contacts etc.
                  RE-play pre-recorded messages (MP3 or wav?)?

                  The digital Video recorder did record sound during the
                  whole flight, even the balloon burst. This could be
                  used to record, received audio on one of the other
                  modes/radios (APRS beacons?).

                  Don

                  --- Don KA0JLF <ka0jlf@...> wrote:

                  > 3 photos of the mission commander have been added to
                  > the http://www.habitatskylab.org web page. These are
                  > right out of the camera, no editing or sizing etc.
                  >
                  > Now I took these in bright sunlight minutes after
                  > the
                  > flight, it was hard to see the LCD screen
                  > (brightness
                  > can be adjusted I think through the menu). So it
                  > might
                  > not be the best focus, due to operator error but it
                  > gives you an idea. These might not be representative
                  > of the best the camera can do, condensation after
                  > the
                  > flight, dusty road, etc. But it gives a clue.
                  >
                  > Don
                  >
                  > --- Don KA0JLF <ka0jlf@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > No but I'll try to throw one up there right away.
                  > > I've got some of the mission commander "Major
                  > Happy"
                  > > right after recovery.
                  > >
                  > > I don't think it was at the best resolution it
                  > will
                  > > do.
                  > >
                  > > Don

                  > > > camera
                  > > >
                  > > > Don,
                  > > >
                  > > > This looks like a capable gizmo. Do you have
                  > any
                  > > > samples
                  > > > of straight jpegs done with this camera in still
                  > > > mode on
                  > > > your website at present?
                  > > >
                  > > > I'd like to see how it performs that way.
                  > > >
                  > > > Hank

                  __________________________________
                  Yahoo! Mail
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
                    At the Bellevue NE Wal-Mart, it's in a blister pack right next to the SD and
                    CF cards in the photo area for $98. For some reason it's not on the
                    walmart.com web site. I've seem them at a couple of other Omaha-area stores
                    in roughly the same area. They are marked as a "Fidelity" camera, which
                    apparently is an Aiptek division.

                    There are a couple of low-cost digital cameras in the same location. The
                    2Mp camera is $40 and the 3Mp is $60. The 2Mp version does not have a TFT
                    display, which may be an advantage for battery life. This may be a low-cost
                    way to add digital pictures to balloon payloads (though it will probably
                    require wiring to a BS2p or similar timing capability).

                    73 de Mark N9XTN
                  • Don KA0JLF
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
                      Yes, a blister pack, largely Orange with some Black
                      and White.

                      I think I'll try to make up a shorter audio/video
                      cable with a right angle plug (less clearence on the
                      front side).

                      73
                      Don

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs