Balloon burst photo of HS05B

  • Don KA0JLF
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
      The two video capsules worked great. Here is a frame
      from my video capsule looking up at the balloon:
      http://habitatskylab.org/BURST1.JPG

      More to follow, but out of time right now.

      The video is impressive to say the least. I never
      realized it was so violent.

      Anyone know of software/hardware that would let me
      combine the two video files into one side-by-side
      screen? I thought of a Quad display type thing with
      the videos one looking up, one looking down, with the
      flight data also.

      73
      Don

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Hank
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
        > Here is a frame
        > from my video capsule looking up at the balloon:
        > http://habitatskylab.org/BURST1.JPG

        This is magnificent, Don.

        > Anyone know of software/hardware that would let me
        > combine the two video files into one side-by-side
        > screen? I thought of a Quad display type thing with
        > the videos one looking up, one looking down, with the
        > flight data also.

        Tremendous idea. If you could do anything like that type of
        video it would be absolutely awesome.

        I think Mark and some of the other video pros will have some
        suggestions.

        Hank
      • n9xtn@cox.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
          I use Pinnacle Studio and know this doesn't have the capability. You
          may need a near-professional video editing solution. You might ask on
          the EOSS or ANSR lists as some of those guys have used such software.

          Agree with Hank that this is an excellent frame capture. I may just
          have to put an upward looking camcorder on one of my future flights.
          There's only so much footage of the Iowa/Nebraska horizon that I need.

          From: "Hank" <n1ltv@...>
          Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2005 10:10 am
          Subject: [GPSL] Re: Balloon burst photo of HS05B

        • mgray@ess-us.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
            I have Adobe Premiere for editing video. I'll be happy to help however I
            can. Did you record the video using a DV type camera (mini-DV tapes)? Do
            you have the AVI capture files? If you have high speed Internet, we can
            exchange the files via FTP.

            73s de KD7LMO
            Michael Gray

            On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 n9xtn@... wrote:

            > I use Pinnacle Studio and know this doesn't have the capability. You
            > may need a near-professional video editing solution. You might ask on
            > the EOSS or ANSR lists as some of those guys have used such software.
            >
            > Agree with Hank that this is an excellent frame capture. I may just
            > have to put an upward looking camcorder on one of my future flights.
            > There's only so much footage of the Iowa/Nebraska horizon that I need.
            >
            > 73 de Mark N9XTN

          • Rick von Glahn
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
              I have Premier Pro and while I was out of town for 2 months I discovered I
              needed to do a quick video edit so purchased Premier Elements, Adobe's
              lightweight video editor. I was mightily impressed. Anyway, Premier Pro would
              have no problem with this, but do you want to spend that kind of money? And
              Premier Elements is "only" around $100. I actually purchased a combo package
              that contained both Premier Elements and Photoshop Elements as it was on sale
              for $130 or so. I just checked to be sure and you can run 4 video tracks. So
              you could easily import the 2 videos, scale them to quarter screen and add
              telemetry or perhaps other video in the spare two quadrants.

              One nice thing I discovered about Premier Elements. It has more codecs built
              in. It can read the video files from my stable of Canon Powershot cameras.
              Premier Pro can't. But, I'll probably install Elements on the main system and
              get access to all the codecs in both programs when that happens.

              Oh, and I'm not volunteering to edit! :-) Since Mike must have an Internet2
              grade data connection I defer to him. I'm on lowly broadband running around a
              megabit per second. Would be just too agonizing to download your video at full
              miniDV/AVI capture mode (250 megabytes per minute more or less).

              73 -- Rick, NØKKZ

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                Mike Who? I have a 1st Class 56K dialup, I'm here to tell ya!
                So PUHLEEZ don't ship me anything over 1 Meg.

                Hey, Don, nice hi-res color shot of the burst. EOSS got a similar
                picture from the ATV downlink back about EOSS-16 or so. Merle saved off
                JPEGS of each frame, and we show that "album" of about 10 pix showing
                the
                progress of the burst in 32 msec increments. The video was about P4 &
                B/W,
                but it's a real attraction at hamfests. And someone told me that they
                were used to brief NASA or some other agency on burst behavior. Betcha
                yer P5 color video frame grab series would be even prettier!

                73 de Mike W5VSI

                Rick von Glahn wrote:

                > I have Premier Pro and while I was out of town for 2 months I discovered I
                > needed to do a quick video edit so purchased Premier Elements, Adobe's
                > lightweight video editor. I was mightily impressed. Anyway, Premier Pro would
                > have no problem with this, but do you want to spend that kind of money? And
                > Premier Elements is "only" around $100. I actually purchased a combo package
                > that contained both Premier Elements and Photoshop Elements as it was on sale
                > for $130 or so. I just checked to be sure and you can run 4 video tracks. So
                > you could easily import the 2 videos, scale them to quarter screen and add
                > telemetry or perhaps other video in the spare two quadrants.
                >
                > One nice thing I discovered about Premier Elements. It has more codecs built
                > in. It can read the video files from my stable of Canon Powershot cameras.
                > Premier Pro can't. But, I'll probably install Elements on the main system and
                > get access to all the codecs in both programs when that happens.
                >
                > Oh, and I'm not volunteering to edit! :-) Since Mike must have an Internet2
                > grade data connection I defer to him. I'm on lowly broadband running around a
                > megabit per second. Would be just too agonizing to download your video at full
                > miniDV/AVI capture mode (250 megabytes per minute more or less).
                >
                > 73 -- Rick, NØKKZ

                Einstein
              • Rick von Glahn
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Ahh, how quickly they forget! :-)

                  We got some strong P3 possibly P4 video of the burst from ATV aboard EOSS-086.
                  You can see this video which also (in the longer version) shows the de-spinner
                  at work. The series of stills Mike was mentioning from EOSS-030 are also at
                  the website. You can see this stuff by visiting our Cool Stuff page:

                  http://www.eoss.org/cool_stuff.htm

                  There are links to things on our website I particularly like but, I'm open to
                  suggestions if I've left out any memorable pictures, videos, sound files etc.

                  And don't worry, MM that was MG (Mike Gray from Ansr) who offered to accept
                  the video files via FTP. No matter what, they're too big for anything but ftp.
                  I don't think I know of an email system that can handle individual attachments
                  over 50 megs at present. But, that will probably change in the future as
                  connect speeds continue to inch up to the Korean standards (20 Mbps)

                  73 -- Rick, NØKKZ

                • Don KA0JLF
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Everyone keep in mind this photo was a frame grabbed
                    from our 'cheap' ($120) video camera from Wal-Mart.
                    The video is 352x288 (quarter VGA). This is the one
                    discussed on here and other groups a week or so ago.

                    I again say, I'm pleased with it! ;-)

                    Don

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Rick von Glahn
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
                      WRONG!!

                      In my email about combining video in an editor I made the comment below. That
                      comment is in error. At least to the extent that the codec to play videos from
                      Canon Powershot cameras is concerned.

                      For those interested, here is the real story. Originally it was in this email
                      but, the majority of you probably don't want to read the whole story. I did
                      find out what was going on and how to cure it.

                      http://www.vonglahn.com/video_codec.htm

                      73 -- Rick, NØKKZ

                      ...snip...

                      > One nice thing I discovered about Premier Elements. It has
                      > more codecs built in. It can read the video files from my
                      > stable of Canon Powershot cameras.
                      > Premier Pro can't.

                      ...snip...