Re: [GPSL] Re: [LaunchDetected] Balloon_Launch_Detected

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2013
      Congratulations on the recovery.  You'll have to see if you can bring the SparkFun caravan to Hutchinson KS for next year's Great Plains Super Launch in June!

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM, David Stillman <me@...> wrote:
      That was me! It was kind of a short notice launch for a local educational group. The prediction had it flying into the Atlantic if it went to 100k feet, so just to get some photos of the fall colors we had it cut down at 4km. It was a ~23 minute round trip to 4k and back, we overfilled the balloon a bit to get a fast ascent.

      It was a 2.5 mile hike to the summit of Mt. Jackson. I successfully recovered the payload from about 150 feet from the top of the mountain, caught about ten feet up a tree. I had a GoPro 2 on board taking a photo once every 10 seconds, and got some great photos of the launch city surrounding area. I'll upload to my flickr and post a link here when I have real (non-cell tethered) Internet.

      On the plus side, I think I convinced about a dozen or so local high school students to get involved in ham radio :) Sorry for the lack of notice of the launch, like I said it was kind of hastily thrown together last minute. I'm on a leg of the SparkFun national tour so we only had a day to put the payload together and source the hydrogen.

      Off for celebratory beers, thanks for noticing our little launch up here in NH!

      --
      David Stillman
      KI6YMZ

      On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:

      Interestingly, this flight landed almost directly on top of Mt Jackson in NH, at an elevation of about 4000'.  The road nearest the landing site is at ~1500'.  There are mapped trails from the road to near the landing site, but I think they are foot trails and not vehicle trails.

      - Mark

      On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM, <flightdata@...> wrote:

      The details below are a likely balloon launch detected in the APRS-IS data.

      Call sign: KI6YMZ-11
      Aprs.fi link: http://aprs.fi/?call=KI6YMZ-11
      Launch Loc.: New Hampshire, United States
      Launch Time: 2013-10-02 15:07:36 UTC
      Current Alt: 8,386 feet

      For more information, go to: http://www.s3research.com/flightdata/

      V:021713