Re: [GPSL] Seeking advice on nichrome cut-down from microcontroller

  • HarryM
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 28, 2013

      It was recommended to me by Michael Gray, KD7LMO.
      God rest his soul!
      73 Harry

      Yep. That's a good one, Harry.
      73 de Mike W5VSI

    • Michael Hojnowski
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2013
        Gang,

        As the Cornell Amateur Radio Club is getting into balloons, we're (ok,
        ok, I am!) intrigued by long-flight (multi-day) pico balloons. Being in
        the US, APRS seems like the right technology to use for telemetry, but
        we're struggling a bit to work out a low wattage transmitter. The lower
        the wattage, the longer we figure we can track. It doesn't seem like
        reaching an APRS rf gateway will be difficult, even at low wattages,
        from a great height.

        We're not afraid to build something, if need be. Does anyone have
        suggestions? Crystals in the right range seem to be as rare and
        expensive as hens teeth. I feel like we're missing something.

        Mike / KD2EAT
      • Anthony Stirk
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 3, 2013
          Evening Mike,

          Try decase the Radiometrix HX1 it comes in about 2g and power it using a step up. You're still going to be pushing it for a pico. Alternately try a custom radio design based on the SI446x chips  which are the same ones we are using on our picos over the pond. I believe these can be run down to the 2 meter band but I've not tried doing APRS on one.

          Cheers,

          Anthony M0UPU