Re: [Balloon_Sked] Balloon news

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013
      I know these go pro cameras are all the rage, but do they also zoom?

      Reason asking is the fisheye distortion just aggravates me the exaggerated curvature of the horizon when the horizon is above mid frame is nad enough, but when it goes below center and you get a concave earth sucks.

      I would assume there is a level of zoom that gets this back to a neutral state?

      Joe WB9SBD

      Sig
      The Original Rolling Ball Clock
      Idle Tyme
      Idle-Tyme.com
      http://www.idle-tyme.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013
        No, the GoPro cameras all have fixed wide angle lenses, since that
        allows thw user to capture near everything that the camera's generally
        pointed at (lacking a viewfinder). There MAY be a way to correct the
        spherical aberration in a wide-angle lens, but I don't know of it.
        BTW, there are several modes that reduce the viewing angle, but those
        simply reduce the height and width of the CCD that's used, so eats
        overall resolution.
        73 de Mike W5VSI

        On 9/22/13 7:50 AM, Joe wrote:
        > I know these go pro cameras are all the rage, but do they also zoom?
        >
        > Reason asking is the fisheye distortion just aggravates me the
        > exaggerated curvature of the horizon when the horizon is above mid frame
        > is nad enough, but when it goes below center and you get a concave earth
        > sucks.
        >
        > I would assume there is a level of zoom that gets this back to a neutral
        > state?
        >
        > Joe WB9SBD
        > Sig
        > The Original Rolling Ball Clock
        > Idle Tyme
        > Idle-Tyme.com
        > http://www.idle-tyme.com
        > On 9/22/2013 6:54 AM, tony everhardt wrote:
        >> http://weather.aol.com/2013/09/19/pop-incredible-photo-of-balloon-bursting-in-space/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing7%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D378611
        >> N8WAC

      • David Akerman
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013
          You can get software to fix the distortion after recording, for still images or video.  e.g. see http://www.tricedesigns.com/2013/08/05/lens-profile-correction-for-gopro-cameras/

          Dave
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013
            But does it constantly adjust?  One second the distortion would be positive in nature and a second later negative. and anywhere in between.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013
              Watch the video on Dave's link. Towards the end, there's a processed
              flight video.

              73 de Mike W5VSI

              On 9/22/13 4:16 PM, Joe wrote:
              > But does it constantly adjust? One second the distortion would be
              > positive in nature and a second later negative. and anywhere in between.
              >
              > Joe WB9SBD
              > Sig
              > The Original Rolling Ball Clock
              > Idle Tyme
              > Idle-Tyme.com
              > http://www.idle-tyme.com
              > On 9/22/2013 3:06 PM, David Akerman wrote:
              >> You can get software to fix the distortion after recording, for still
              >> images or video. e.g. see
              >> http://www.tricedesigns.com/2013/08/05/lens-profile-correction-for-gopro-cameras/
              >>

              >> Dave

            • James Ewen
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013
                On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Joe <nss@...> wrote:

                > But does it constantly adjust? One second the distortion would be positive
                > in nature and a second later negative. and anywhere in between.

                Think about what you are saying... do you really think that the lens
                on the Go Pro is flexing constantly to distort the image?

                Any straight line passing through the center of the lens stays
                straight, lines offset from the center of the lens bend away from the
                center of the lens as the ends get further from the center of the
                lens.

                Therefore, if the horizon goes above the centerline of the lens, it
                turns into a smiley face. If the horizon goes below the centerline of
                the lens it turns into a frowny face.

                Same thing happens if you go left or right, or any angle off the
                center point of the lens.

                --
                James
                VE6SRV