Re: [GPSL] Canon cameras shutting down due to ?turbulence?

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2013
      Don't bump them during launch?

      Joe WB9SBD
      Sig
      The Original Rolling Ball Clock
      Idle Tyme
      Idle-Tyme.com
      http://www.idle-tyme.com
      On 8/20/2013 8:51 PM, Zack Clobes wrote:

      I've been flying the Powershot cameras now with the CHDK firmware for quite a few flights, but I'm having a problem with the cameras shutting down early on in the flight for no obvious reason.

      I'm thinking it has to do with physical motion (like turbulence or packages getting bumped/bruised during launch) but I can't always pinpoint it to that.  I don't believe it to be battery failure or temperature.

      It seems like my older camera performs the best, and the newer the camera, the more susceptible.  Anyone have a quick fix?

      Zack Clobes, W0ZC
      Project: Traveler
      www.projecttraveler.org

    • excitontx
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 21, 2013
        Zack,

        I have 2-3 Canon Digital Elph cameras that I fly and they are similar to your Canon PowerShot.

        I have noticed that the standard batteries that come with Canon cameras seem to do poorly after repeated exposure to the cold extremes of near space. I have had batteries that lasted for hours in the camera eventually degrade to the point where they don't last but an hour or so. While this is only anecdotal evidence, the test is quite simple. This is easily confirmed by doing a "freezer test" of the batteries and camera in your refrigerator's freezer. This will distinguish between a battery weakness and vibration/turbulence problems. I now run each of my photo and video cameras using separate, external power sources consisting of Energizer Ultra Lithium batteries and a small, low-dropout regulator.

        Good luck,
        Chuck / KG5CA
        StratoCasters