Re: [GPSL] Canon cameras shutting down due to ?turbulence?

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2013

      I hasn't thought about the shutter button.   I was theorizing about pushing or jostling the lens but was you afraid to test too much.

      On Aug 20, 2013 9:34 PM, "Mike Manes" <mrmanes@...> wrote:
      Hi Zack,

      I measured the displacement necessary to operate the PowerShot buttons
      at something on the order of 10 mils (0.01" or 0.25 mm). So I added a
      guard ring (or hole) around the buttons to prevent accidental operation.

      Another thing that will shut the PowerSHot down is restricting movement
      of the zoom lens, or perhaps forcing the zoom lens in once it's driven
      out normally.

      Beyond that, I'm clueless.

      BTW, the GoPro DVRs are bulletproof except for overheating - only
      an issue on the ground on a sunny summer day inside an insulated
      enclosure for over 20 or 30 minutes.

      73 de Mike W5VSI

      On 8/20/13 7:51 PM, Zack Clobes wrote:

      I've been flying the Powershot cameras now with the CHDK firmware for
      quite a few flights, but I'm having a problem with the cameras shutting
      down early on in the flight for no obvious reason.

      I'm thinking it has to do with physical motion (like turbulence or
      packages getting bumped/bruised during launch) but I can't always
      pinpoint it to that.  I don't believe it to be battery failure or
      temperature.

      It seems like my older camera performs the best, and the newer the
      camera, the more susceptible.  Anyone have a quick fix?

      Zack Clobes, W0ZC
      Project: Traveler
      www.projecttraveler.org <http://www.projecttraveler.org>

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 2013
        Don't bump them during launch?

        Joe WB9SBD
        Sig
        The Original Rolling Ball Clock
        Idle Tyme
        Idle-Tyme.com
        http://www.idle-tyme.com
        On 8/20/2013 8:51 PM, Zack Clobes wrote:

        I've been flying the Powershot cameras now with the CHDK firmware for quite a few flights, but I'm having a problem with the cameras shutting down early on in the flight for no obvious reason.

        I'm thinking it has to do with physical motion (like turbulence or packages getting bumped/bruised during launch) but I can't always pinpoint it to that.  I don't believe it to be battery failure or temperature.

        It seems like my older camera performs the best, and the newer the camera, the more susceptible.  Anyone have a quick fix?

        Zack Clobes, W0ZC
        Project: Traveler
        www.projecttraveler.org

      • excitontx
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21, 2013
          Zack,

          I have 2-3 Canon Digital Elph cameras that I fly and they are similar to your Canon PowerShot.

          I have noticed that the standard batteries that come with Canon cameras seem to do poorly after repeated exposure to the cold extremes of near space. I have had batteries that lasted for hours in the camera eventually degrade to the point where they don't last but an hour or so. While this is only anecdotal evidence, the test is quite simple. This is easily confirmed by doing a "freezer test" of the batteries and camera in your refrigerator's freezer. This will distinguish between a battery weakness and vibration/turbulence problems. I now run each of my photo and video cameras using separate, external power sources consisting of Energizer Ultra Lithium batteries and a small, low-dropout regulator.

          Good luck,
          Chuck / KG5CA
          StratoCasters