Canon cameras shutting down due to ?turbulence?

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2013

      I've been flying the Powershot cameras now with the CHDK firmware for quite a few flights, but I'm having a problem with the cameras shutting down early on in the flight for no obvious reason.

      I'm thinking it has to do with physical motion (like turbulence or packages getting bumped/bruised during launch) but I can't always pinpoint it to that.  I don't believe it to be battery failure or temperature.

      It seems like my older camera performs the best, and the newer the camera, the more susceptible.  Anyone have a quick fix?

      Zack Clobes, W0ZC
      Project: Traveler
      www.projecttraveler.org

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 2013
        Hi Zack,

        I measured the displacement necessary to operate the PowerShot buttons
        at something on the order of 10 mils (0.01" or 0.25 mm). So I added a
        guard ring (or hole) around the buttons to prevent accidental operation.

        Another thing that will shut the PowerSHot down is restricting movement
        of the zoom lens, or perhaps forcing the zoom lens in once it's driven
        out normally.

        Beyond that, I'm clueless.

        BTW, the GoPro DVRs are bulletproof except for overheating - only
        an issue on the ground on a sunny summer day inside an insulated
        enclosure for over 20 or 30 minutes.

        73 de Mike W5VSI

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 2013
            Don't bump them during launch?

            Joe WB9SBD
            Sig
            The Original Rolling Ball Clock
            Idle Tyme
            Idle-Tyme.com
            http://www.idle-tyme.com
            On 8/20/2013 8:51 PM, Zack Clobes wrote:

            I've been flying the Powershot cameras now with the CHDK firmware for quite a few flights, but I'm having a problem with the cameras shutting down early on in the flight for no obvious reason.

            I'm thinking it has to do with physical motion (like turbulence or packages getting bumped/bruised during launch) but I can't always pinpoint it to that.  I don't believe it to be battery failure or temperature.

            It seems like my older camera performs the best, and the newer the camera, the more susceptible.  Anyone have a quick fix?

            Zack Clobes, W0ZC
            Project: Traveler
            www.projecttraveler.org

          • excitontx
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 21, 2013
              Zack,

              I have 2-3 Canon Digital Elph cameras that I fly and they are similar to your Canon PowerShot.

              I have noticed that the standard batteries that come with Canon cameras seem to do poorly after repeated exposure to the cold extremes of near space. I have had batteries that lasted for hours in the camera eventually degrade to the point where they don't last but an hour or so. While this is only anecdotal evidence, the test is quite simple. This is easily confirmed by doing a "freezer test" of the batteries and camera in your refrigerator's freezer. This will distinguish between a battery weakness and vibration/turbulence problems. I now run each of my photo and video cameras using separate, external power sources consisting of Energizer Ultra Lithium batteries and a small, low-dropout regulator.

              Good luck,
              Chuck / KG5CA
              StratoCasters