Re: [GPSL] Mystery object falls from sky, area sealed off by military: 'Weather balloon', say officials • Th e Register -- Ozonesonde !!

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
      Hey, they had this swell little bomb-snatching robot that they were
      just >itching< to try out. Wouldn't you?? Really.
      73 de Mike W5VSI

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
        I'll try this again.

        I never thought of this part of doing these flights before. Ya know After doing 50+ flights I have had dozens of people interested in joining in on this activity, but as soon as they learn we do not have any liability insurance for it they back out.

        They are worried  what if someone should get hurt.  Falling payload with a fouled chute, land on the interstate and cover windshield with the parachute, etc.

        But this what is in this story has never been thought of before, or at least not by me and anyone that I know of.

        I used EOSS # XXX as a example of a numbered flight, and that got lost in the meaning of the message.

        But say that flight that was in the news, that was in the original posting of this group of E-Mails. Say it was a flight of Mine,, Or Bills, or any of our groups.

        What I am asking is, with this ridiculous over-reaction of the authorities, what did this cost that city? And with most cities now being cash strapped like they are. Would they go after one of our groups for the costs of them going nuts.  I can bet the reaction that they showed on TV, was well over ten grand!

        Who is liable for this cost ya know?

        Joe WB9SBD

        Sig
        The Original Rolling Ball Clock
        Idle Tyme
        Idle-Tyme.com
        http://www.idle-tyme.com

        Date: 	Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:01:44 -0400
        From: 	Benjamin Longmier <longmier@...>
        To: 	Mike Manes <mrmanes@...>
        CC: 	kb8uih@...

        wrote:

                 Is it the floater from UMICH?

                 Chris

                 "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

            GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
            GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Louis Ciotti

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
              Hi Joe,

              Anyone can sue anyone else for anything, any time. But in cases like
              this, who wins usually comes down to a question of willful negligence.
              So if you can show that you took every effort to ensure a forecast
              landing in an unoccupied area, then you're in good hands.

              Full disclosure: I'm NOT an attorney. Just an expert witless in quite
              a few product liability tort suits.

              BTW, EOSS does have liability coverage thru ARRL's underwriter as a
              Special Service affiliate. Pretty cheap premiums, IIRC.

              73 de Mike W5VSI

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                Or if your forecast trajectory shows a landing in a populated area,
                resked, move the launch site or cut down early. Many ARHAB groups
                practice this as SOP.
                73 de Mike W5VSI

                      Date:     Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:01:44 -0400
                      From:     Benjamin Longmier <longmier@...  <mailto:longmier@...>>
                      To:     Mike Manes <mrmanes@...  <mailto:mrmanes@...>>

                           GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com  <mailto:GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com>
                           GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com  <mailto:GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                    See: http://www.arrl.org/affiliated-club-benefits

                    Click on "Club Liability Insurance"

                    EOSS confirmed that our balloon operations were covered. Note that
                    one must be an affiliated club, however, and that requires that
                    over half the members are ARRL members.

                    73 de Mike W5VSI