Re: [GPSL] Fwd: Flight Predictor help

  • Anthony Stirk
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2013
      Hi there,

      Firstly the GoPro's. I would strongly advise against the GoPro antimist strips as they have the opposite effect. Basically as the pressure decreases the moisture contained within them boils off and condenses on the coldest part which is the lens. The cases are very good at keeping outside pressure in but they do let inside pressure out, we've had a number that have been extremely hard to open when they've landed. The trick is don't fly it in a case or if you do the open backed one.

      Hand warmers really aren't needed and are just extra weight you don't need to fly. The electronics as long as they are insulated will generate their own heat.

      With regards to tracking, I'm working on a product called Habduino which is a shield for Arduino which you just plug on and load up the code and it makes a tracker. It can transmit APRS & RTTY on 70cms simultaneously, is fitted with a step up converter so can run from a pair of AA's.The RTTY is on 434.XXX (frequency agile) but I understand this isn't license exempt in the States so you will need an amateur license to use it, however you can use APRS as well.

      I'm beta testing (i.e. flying it) next weekend , the whole project is open source but I will be selling made up PCB's :

      The code and GPS on this are known to work up to 160k feet, its not based on Trackuino both code and hardware design are from scratch based on designs we've used in our HAB flights. Currently there is no data logging to SD on it.

      Cheers,

      Anthony M0UPU

      On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt@...> wrote:

      Guys?

      Sent from my iPad, one finger at a time.

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Tyler Fish <fishtyler@...>
      Date: 4 August 2013 08:56:50 CDT
      To: Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt@...>
      Subject: Re: Flight Predictor help

      Hi Keith,

      quick question on fogging cameras...we are using gopro cameras and tests have shown to fog in the casing even when we use anit-fog inserts and anti-fog gel. We are using heat packs that are not oxygen required. Have you had good experience with preventing a camera from fogging up?

      Tyler

      On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Tyler Fish <fishtyler@...> wrote:

      Great...thanks again Keith

      On Jun 17, 2013 1:02 PM, "Keith Kaiser" <wa0tjt@...> wrote:
      Keep the SPOT but get yourself a TinyTracker as well. They are inexpensive and all the groups use them. Just Google the name. In the mean time you could join the GPSL mail list and ask the same question there. These guys are the worlds experts at HAB if they don't know the answer no one does.

      Go to superlaunch.org for a link to join the mailing list.

      Sent from my iPad, one finger at a time.

      On 17 Jun 2013, at 13:42, Tyler Fish <fishtyler@...> wrote:

      Right now im using a gps SPOT which does not record altitude.....i was looking for an altimeter to log how high our project will go. Wondering if there might be one out there that would have a usb port to plug in after.the flight.

      On Jun 17, 2013 12:21 PM, "Keith Kaiser" <wa0tjt@...> wrote:
      Hmmm, not off hand. But your GPS will almost certainly give you a better readying than an altimeter anyway. Or do you have something special in mind that requires one?

      Sent from my iPad, one finger at a time.

      On 17 Jun 2013, at 13:18, Tyler Fish <fishtyler@...> wrote:

      Keith,

      do you have any recommendations or links for altimeters?

      On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt@...> wrote:
      Your welcome. I'm glad it was something simple. Now be sure to go to http://www.arhab.org/hab_launch_form.php and list your flight so the rest of us can enjoy watching.

      73's -- Keith, WA0TJT

      Sent from my iPad, one finger at a time.

      On 14 Jun 2013, at 12:57, Tyler Fish <fishtyler@...> wrote:

      that was it.....thank you for taking the time to help me out. I'm excited for our launch from UT.

      Tyler

      On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt@...> wrote:
      You can put anything you want into the call sign field. But yes I think that might be the problem. Give it a try.

      Sent from my iPad, one finger at a time.

      On 14 Jun 2013, at 11:06, Tyler Fish <fishtyler@...> wrote:

      Keith....thank you so  much for taking the time to do this....you are the man. I'm sure its something that I am not entering correctly or not entering at all. attach is a pdf

      I noticed that i had not entered a call sign, could that be it?

      On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt@...> wrote:
      Send me a snapshot of the data entry form filled out. Ill run it too and see if I can figure out what went wrong. We're in Pella, IA this weekend attending the GPSL so its a great time to look-see.

      73's -- Keith, WA0TJT

      Sent from my iPad, one finger at a time.

      On 14 Jun 2013, at 09:21, Tyler Fish <fishtyler@...> wrote:

      Hi Keith, thank you for the reply.

      I have done each of those steps you listed. As far as I can tell what is not happening is when I select the "Plot Track on Google Maps" I am in fact being taken to the google map page, but when I zoom into my launching point I do not see a red line or blue line showing any path at all. Do I still need to do another step that will cause the predicted flight path to show?

      Tyler

      On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt@...> wrote:
      I need a little more description of what you did before I can say what went wrong.
      1) After entering flight details, you should have seen a NWS Screen.
      2) Here you would enter a date and time and a capcha code for NWS
      3) On the next page you needed to copy the left side into the right side
      3) Submitting this will bring you to a screen asking you what you want to see.
      4) Selecting show on Google maps should take you to a map page

      What is not happening?

      On 13 Jun 2013, at 17:34, Tyler Fish <fishtyler@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have attempted to use the flight predictor, but after I enter the information and hit the plot to google link I see the map, but no flight path anywhere. Am I doing something wrong? I am looking to launch in a week so your help would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > thank you for your help
      >
      > Tyler

      <Near Space Ventures Inc.pdf>

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2013
        Hi Tyler,

        We've flown the basic GoPro and the GoPro2 DVRs with no fogging
        problems. We fly it in a foamcore enclosure that protects it
        from excessive cooling, and we even interpose the lens cover from
        the original case in that enclosure. We do have a little bag of
        desiccant that ship with some consumer electronics, and that may
        help. See:

        ww.eoss.org/hardware/w5vsi_Zi6/index.htm

        The Kodak Zi6 died after 2 flights, and we retrofitted a GoPro in
        its place in the same enclosure, but don't have pix of that yet.

        Fogging occurs when the surface temperature of an object drops below
        the dew point of the air, and the GoPro does generate quite a bit of
        heat in operation, so it doesn't take much insulation to keep its
        case temp above dew point.

        73 de Mike W5VSI, EOSS

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2013
          The condensation problem usually crops up during descent, when
          the chilled surfaces come down thru moist air, especially clouds.
          During descent, there's no way to keep moist air from penetrating,
          short of using the IPX6 polycarb housing.

          The GoPro generates a LOT of heat! In fact, it will shut down due
          to excessive internal temp (>120F) if it's run for over 20-30
          minutes with its foamcore housing closed in the summer sun, or
          if there's a long recovery after landing.

          73 de Mike W5VSI

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 4, 2013
            That's why we put a bag of desiccant in the enclosure. And w/o
            a window, moist air has a direct path onto the lens during descent.
            73 de Mike W5VSI

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 4, 2013
              Hear, hear! Thanks, Anthony.
              73 de Mike W5VSI

              On 8/4/13 10:50 AM, Anthony Stirk wrote:

              > Hi there,
              >
              > Firstly the GoPro's. I would strongly advise against the GoPro antimist
              > strips as they have the opposite effect. Basically as the pressure
              > decreases the moisture contained within them boils off and condenses on
              > the coldest part which is the lens. The cases are very good at keeping
              > outside pressure in but they do let inside pressure out, we've had a
              > number that have been extremely hard to open when they've landed. The
              > trick is don't fly it in a case or if you do the open backed one.
              >
              > Hand warmers really aren't needed and are just extra weight you don't
              > need to fly. The electronics as long as they are insulated will generate
              > their own heat.
              >
              > With regards to tracking, I'm working on a product called Habduino which
              > is a shield for Arduino which you just plug on and load up the code and
              > it makes a tracker. It can transmit APRS & RTTY on 70cms simultaneously,
              > is fitted with a step up converter so can run from a pair of AA's.The
              > RTTY is on 434.XXX (frequency agile) but I understand this isn't license
              > exempt in the States so you will need an amateur license to use it,
              > however you can use APRS as well.
              >
              > I'm beta testing (i.e. flying it) next weekend , the whole project is
              > open source but I will be selling made up PCB's :
              >
              > https://github.com/HABduino
              >
              > http://www.habduino.org
              >
              > https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkideo7olsi4oen/IMG_1896.JPG
              >
              > The code and GPS on this are known to work up to 160k feet, its not
              > based on Trackuino both code and hardware design are from scratch based
              > on designs we've used in our HAB flights. Currently there is no data
              > logging to SD on it.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Anthony M0UPU
              >

              > On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt@...
              > <mailto:wa0tjt@...>> wrote:
              >
              > __
              >
              > Guys?
              >

              > Sent from my iPad, one finger at a time.
              >
              > Begin forwarded message:
              >
              >> *From:* Tyler Fish <fishtyler@... <mailto:fishtyler@...>>
              >> *Date:* 4 August 2013 08:56:50 CDT
              >> *To:* Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt@... <mailto:wa0tjt@...>>
              >> *Subject:* *Re: Flight Predictor help*
              >>
              >> Hi Keith,
              >>
              >> quick question on fogging cameras...we are using gopro cameras and
              >> tests have shown to fog in the casing even when we use anit-fog
              >> inserts and anti-fog gel. We are using heat packs that are not
              >> oxygen required. Have you had good experience with preventing a
              >> camera from fogging up?
              >>
              >> Tyler
            • Anthony Stirk

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013

                  We have problems with the GoPro cameras overheating and shutting down. The cameras create a great deal of heat, and in normal use, make use of the battery pack as a heat sink. This works well during cold weather, keeping the battery pack nice and toasty.

                  Other local groups have tried putting hand warmers in the payload, tucked up tight against the GoPro camera, and the result was the camera died that much earlier. Put extra heat into the electronics to start, keep a thermal mass up against the camera not allowing it to lose heat through radiation, and you just cause more thermal build up.

                  Running a crossband repeater we had the same concerns, how do we keep the electronics cool enough.

                  Remember, if you have a temperature sensor hanging inside the payload, at altitude it is in a near vacuum. Take a second temperature sensor, and attach it to the heatsink, or case of your electronics, and see if the free floating sensor temperature matches the one attached to the electronics.

                  --
                  James
                  VE6SRV
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
                    Our GoPros also shut down due to overtemp about 30 minutes after
                    landing in nice summer sun. Once it's cooled a bit, it powers up
                    normally to let the recovery crew shoot the landing site.

                    I suspect this protection scheme might create some disappointment
                    for customers who mount GoPros to their baja buggies - in the Baja
                    in the summer.

                    Point is that the GoPro is pretty immune from fogging up - unless
                    one provides excessive cooling or vapor.

                    73 de Mike W5VSI