BASE 81 completed

  • BASE
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2013
      Dear friends,

      BASE 81 was successfully completed today.  We had a momentary delay at launch, when false lift was going to make for a very slow climb.  The additional fill lead to a nominal ascent rate.  Fortunately after burst, the balloon ensnared the parachute and most of the payloads resulting in a fifteen minute descent into the edge of an open field.  A normal descent would have greatly increased the likelihood of landing in trees.

      The crossband repeater was very busy with contacts made from over 300 miles.

      The SSTV yielded good images for some of the flight, although I did not monitor that frequency at the launch site.  We believe that the camera and Baofeng radio did not operate for the entire flight, although the battery voltages were still acceptable post-flight.

      Thanks to all those that helped with this project for the Scouts, especially Bill WB8ELK, Jeff KC9QCD, Mark KA9SZX, Rob N9RIX, Lenny KC9QAK, Richard K9LIU, Wayne AB9FJ, Trey KC9QOV, Jay KC9QOW, and Mark KC9DUU.

      It has been a busy summer.  I don't think we will fly again until the fall.

      Thanks for your support,
      Howard