Re: [GPSL] LiftWin

  • Daniel Bowen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2013
      I would say that my balloon projects  math got a lot easier and portable when we stuck to metric.

      Thanks,
      Dan

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 15, 2013, at 22:53, Anthony Stirk <upuaut@...> wrote:

      Hi Paul,

      Amending the CUSF version to allow larger payloads is fairly trivial however when it was written the 5kg was picked as seemed like like a sensible limit that is safe to launch under a latex balloon.I think most people in the UK would consider that far too heavy these days. I can ask and see if I can get the limit removed for you or alternative you could run a local copy of the burst calc program and remove the limits yourself (or I understand if you're using Firefox of Chrome you can do it in the browser somehow).

      The metric units I know is a bone of contention with most of the tools we use and we've had a number of your fellow American's complain about the lack of imperial units on them ( http://spacenear.us/tracker does now have an option for show imperial units as a result). So please bear in mind I come from the UK where we've only partially adopted metric and still measure distance in miles and drinks in pints and what I'm about to say is not meant to be arrogant, insulting or offend but here goes : You should be using metric. There did it, said it sorry.

      You are doing science here, and the unit of science is metric. By using metric you are not supporting France or eurotypes you're supporting the common worldwide units of science. Your GPS modules output in metric, the balloon datasheets are in metric its seems odd to then convert this back into some archaic measuring system that should have died years ago. Interesting fact I found out the other day that JPL in CA is so metric they even have the speed signs in km/h which is one step further than we have gone in the UK.

      So all that said the Burst Predictor is open source available here : https://github.com/adamgreig/cusf-burst-calc so you can run a local copy and amend to your liking.

      Cheers,

      Anthony M0UPU

      On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 1:25 AM, L. Paul Verhage <nearsys@...> wrote:

      What's the status of upgrading the online LiftWin? I tried the CUSF version and found a couple of issues with this nice program.

      If wants values in metric units and I couldn't use a payload greater than 5 kg (11 lb).

      It would be nice if the current version would just calculate the ascent rate based on the weights and balloon you enter.