Ppts

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 2.7 MB
    Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
  • L. Paul Verhage
    Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
  • Michael Willett
    Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
      "Spying on neighboring states" is a touchy subject here in Texas! :)

      --Michael

    • Jim Hannon
      Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
        "There is no known risk for short duration exposures to cosmic rays in
        near space. "
        Have you seen any evidence for a single event upset in any of your
        flights? spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/weekly/3Page6.pdf

        Jim Hannon

        --
        WB0TXL
        WEB Page http://www.ocrslc.net/
        Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
          Jim,

          BASE has completed 77 flights.  All have carried assorted electronics:  radios, microprocessors, memory cards, cameras, Geiger Counters, operational amplifiers, light emitting diodes.  Our Geiger data, including many coincidence measurements agree with the neutron flux vs. altitude plot from your link with the clearly identified Pfotzer maximum.

          We have never seen any evidence of an event upset.  Of course, the cross section of our electronic components is very small and our total exposure time is limited since we have not floated on any of our flights.  Typically we spend less than one hour above flight level 60 and about 100 minutes above flight level 30 per flight.

          This is just a limited set of anecdotal evidence.  BASE 78 is tomorrow, perhaps an event upset will be seen on that flight.

          Howard, KC9QBN
          www.tinyurl.com/basedepauw

          Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013

            Oops. We need yo be careful at GPSL 2016.

            ;)

            Paul

            Message 8 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013

              Nothing that I am aware of.