Re: [GPSL] Re: GPSL 2017

  • Roger Hammond
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 8, 2013
      I was wondering when someone was going to bring that up...thanks Mark!
      ;-)

      Rog KC0MWM

      On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:

      The 2007 GPSL was held in Grand Island, NE which is just a few miles north of the center of the totality path.  Maybe after a decade's break they'll be interested in 2017.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Joe <nss@...> wrote:
      That where I was heading for this. find a group willing to host 2017 that is along the path, that also has a good chance of clear skies too, a site that shows the path as well as the chances of clear skies is here
      http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~jander/tot2017/tse17intro.htm

      St' Louis looks promising.

      Joe WB9SBD

      The Original Rolling Ball Clock
      Idle Tyme
      Idle-Tyme.com
      http://www.idle-tyme.com
      On 7/8/2013 8:50 AM, dpbohlmann wrote:
      Speaking of 2017 -- there is a total solar eclipse on 21 August that year, crossing over from Oregon over to South Carolina.  It starts at about 1720 UTC out west, and goes back over the Atlantic by 1850 or so.

      Along the totality shadow, the widest point is about 80 miles wide, though this varies.  Totality lasts only a couple minutes, but the partial darkness leading up to and after totality is about 1.5 hours.

      Getting images of the shadow on the earth's surface from near-space would be interesting.

      Check out NASA's map at http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

      --- In GPSL@yahoogroups.com, Joe <nss@...> wrote:

      Has anyone offered to host 2017 yet?

      Sig

          GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
          GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 11, 2013

          EOSS is okay with a Aug. 21st data.

          Nick

          EOSS GPSL Coord

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 11, 2013

            August 21, 2017?

            Let me check my calendar.

            Wait! I don't even have a 2017 calendar!

            Hey! No Problem!  That GPSL date is now virtually penciled in!  :)

            So now we will all be working in balloon payloads that will zero in on the eclipse during a floater at 100,000 ft and observing how the eclipse causes changes in changes in gravity, cosmic radiation and increases in dark matter to put everything back the way it was!!!

            You physics guys better get busy! :)

            --Michael

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 11, 2013

              The make observations of the eclipse, the balloon has to pass through an infinitely tall cylinder of shadow that is moving. I suspect our best chances are to spread out balloons.

              I am in favor of holding GPSL earlier in the summer. I think the topic should be the upcoming eclipse and the launches could be a dry run.

              I am however open to any week and venue.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 21 , May 20, 2016
              Hi All,
              I touched this a while ago, and I either missed it, or noting was said.

              But I was thinking it would be extremely neat if a GPSL was held the same day as the solar eclipse next year along the eclipse path.

              I remember many thinking a great Idea, But most thought it was too far down the line to start to work on it.

              I know what these eclipse things do, and had second thoughts about it.

              So I just for the heck of it started to look for hotel rooms along the eclipse path.

              If not GPSL I chose a location near max eclipse and closest to me. And did a search,

              for three days centered on eclipse day. day before and till the day after,

              It told me right away that only 9 hotels had any rooms left at all. One had only 1 room left at $560 a night, the other 8 ranged from 150 to 300 a night, Not a "Stay" but by the night. and it told me that in doing the search that 247 places to stay told them they have no open rooms to take.

              So,

              That being said,  is any balloon grouip along the path of totality gonna step forward and try to get something going before there are for sure no rooms left?

              Her is a map of the eclipse path.
              http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

              And here is a map of the path and the chance of clear skies. Nebraska?
              If not Nebraska then greatest eclipse happens in southern IL.

              cloud cover map
of the U.S. for August
              --
              Sig

              Message 7 of 21 , Aug 18, 2016

                As expected the date selection was far from unanimous. After numerous discussions I've decided to leave GPSL 2017 on father's day weekend as it has been in many of the recent years.

                So Thursday June 15th will kick things off with a local tour in the afternoon.   For those coming in early,  the space museum will be available to visit anytime Thursday as part of the GPSL.   Dinner will be a Mexican buffet downtown for those that would like to join us.

                Friday June 16 will be the typical symposium at the Cosmosphere,  with sessions starting at 9:00am.  Sessions will probably go until slightly after 5:00pm.  Dinner will be a private, catered event probably downtown.

                Launches will be scheduled Saturday June 17 morning as early as practical. Launch sites TBA,  but will be within 30 miles of Hutch.   Lunch will be on your own,  but I'll have some space reserved for dinner somewhere in town.

                As of now I'm working with Keith to get the website updated for next year.   I'll also work on getting a few hotels identified so folks can get their rooms booked.

                That's it for now.   Get it on your calendars!

                Zack

                Zack