Re: [GPSL] strange balloon flight today

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
      It's in an area of rain behind some thunderstorms.  I wonder if the balloon had low free lift and rain is weighing it down.  Anyway, doesn't look like a good place for a manned balloon to fly.

      - Mark

      On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Mike Manes <mrmanes@...> wrote:
      Probably a hot air balloon?
      - Mike W5VSI

      On 6/22/13 1:08 PM, Mark Conner wrote:

      http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=9&call=a%2FKC9PON-11&timerange=10800&tail=10800

      Has gone through a few up and down cycles between about 5000 ft and
      16,000 ft.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

    • BASE
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2013
        It was a flight by DePaul University (the one in Chicago).  They did get caught up in a storm and lost most of their initial ascent speed (1000 ft/min).  After spending about two hours in the storm and enduring five down and up cycles, the balloon left the storm and resumed climbing at 1000 ft/min until it burst at almost 50 kft.

        Howard, KC9QBN