Balloon Talking Points

  • Keith Kaiser
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
      Our recent, very successful, GPSL has reminded me to collect some talking points for next months 3 balloon launch at the Boy Scout Jamboree.

      Assuming normal inflation can someone tell me the diameter of a 600g and a 1200g balloon at launch, and again at burst? Volume would be nice too but kids can't relate to that as easily. We don't need to be too technical, something simple like 6ft and 36ft or whatever the two values would be.

      Thanks guys.

      -- Keith
      WA0TJT
      Sent from my iPad, one finger at a time.
    • Michael

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
            Launch diameter will depend on payload weight (you will need to fill the balloon enough to lift the payload at the desired ascent rate) - and burst diameter mostly depends on the balloon manufacturer - but here are some examples:

            600g balloon, 500g payload (1.1lb) , 5m/sec ascent rate (980fpm):
            diamater at launch 1.54m (5ft)

            Manufacturer data:
            Pawan CPR600 >=5.8m (19ft)
            Totex TA600 - 6m (19.7ft)
            Hwoyee HY-600 - >=6.5m (21.3ft)

            So your rough figures might be 5ft and 20ft

            Steve G8KHW

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
              Hi Keith,

              Hank Riley's LiftWin 041 is a real handy tool for calculating the fill
              for a desired ascent rate for a wide variety of latex balloons and user-
              specified neck load, fill gas and launch site altitude and temperature.
              The balloon volume at fill is shown in those calculations, and the burst
              diameter for the selected balloon is also shown.

              It's downloadable from a link on eoss.org. Be sure to get the VB 300
              runtime library as well and put it in same subdirectory as LiftWin. It
              runs fine under Windoze XP.

              73 de Mike W5VSI