Re: [Ballooning] GoPro Black Problems

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2013
      That's new since I contacted them when we discovered this "feature".
      In light of of the Dreamliner Li-ion problem, this is probably a good
      idea. In fact, I think it's come into play after landing, where the
      camera shuts down before the recovery team gets to it.

      However, I think that this operational temperature limit should
      be part of the product's spec sheet. It wasn't on our GoPro. And
      there should be some tips on how to avoid unintended shutdowns, such
      as shielding it from direct sunlight, providing ventilation, etc.

      73 de Mike W5VSI

      On 4/23/13 4:05 PM, HarryM wrote:
      > It is documented on the GoPro web site and is an issue with all their
      > cameras.
      >
      > http://gopro.com/support/articles/hot-cold-operating-temperatures-camera
      >
      > -----
      >
      > Thanks. Another "undocumented feature" that showed up on our
      > GoPro Hero (Original) was the fact that it would shut down if
      > the internal temperature exceeded 120F. This happened to us
      > during testing inside the foamcore payload enclosure in bright
      > summer sunlight. The only corrective action was to keep the
      > enclosure open to air, out of the sun and powered up only
      > shortly before launch in the summer. It's not an issue during
      > the winter, however.
      >
      > It might be worth quizzing GoPro if this "feature" remains in the
      > 2 and 3 series cameras.

    • HarryM
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2013
        There is a new release of the firmware for the Hero 3 cameras as of 04/25/13.
        I tested it and it seems to have solved the “1 Button” problem.

        73 Harry KC5TRB