GoPro Black Problems

  • HarryM
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2013
      Those of you that have a GoPro Hero Black may or may not have run into problems with this camera. The problem seems to be in the original and current (04/04/13)  firmware/software using “1 Button Mode” in certain resolutions and frame rates. The camera will start and record, but when you hold the MODE button to exit “1 Button Mode” the camera will go into a looping mode, recording for a couple seconds, stop recording then start again. At this point if you hold the MODE button for 3-4 seconds the camera will turn off, then the camera will be not be able to be turned on again unless you remove and reinsert the battery. I have spent several hours on the phone with GoPro and returned one camera only to find out that it seems to be a firmware/software issue and they are working to resolve it. Another issue is, if you are in one of the setup menus, the camera will exit setup with no user input and return to the main screen. They are also working on this problem.

      Here is their response....

      “Thanks again for calling in to GoPro support. Sorry about that trouble we are seeing with one button mode. The resolutions/frame rates  that seem to be affected are; 720/60, 1080/24, 1080/30, and 1440/24. Again this is a known issue, and should be fixed by a future firmware update.”

      ------------------
      73 Harry KC5TRB

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2013
        Hi Harry,

        Thanks. Another "undocumented feature" that showed up on our
        GoPro Hero (Original) was the fact that it would shut down if
        the internal temperature exceeded 120F. This happened to us
        during testing inside the foamcore payload enclosure in bright
        summer sunlight. The only corrective action was to keep the
        enclosure open to air, out of the sun and powered up only
        shortly before launch in the summer. It's not an issue during
        the winter, however.

        It might be worth quizzing GoPro if this "feature" remains in the
        2 and 3 series cameras.

        73 de Mike W5VSI

        On 4/23/13 12:35 PM, HarryM wrote:

        > Those of you that have a GoPro Hero Black may or may not have run into
        > problems with this camera. The problem seems to be in the original and
        > current (04/04/13) firmware/software using “1 Button Mode” in certain
        > resolutions and frame rates. The camera will start and record, but when
        > you hold the MODE button to exit “1 Button Mode” the camera will go into
        > a looping mode, recording for a couple seconds, stop recording then
        > start again. At this point if you hold the MODE button for 3-4 seconds
        > the camera will turn off, then the camera will be not be able to be
        > turned on again unless you remove and reinsert the battery. I have spent
        > several hours on the phone with GoPro and returned one camera only to
        > find out that it seems to be a firmware/software issue and they are
        > working to resolve it. Another issue is, if you are in one of the setup
        > menus, the camera will exit setup with no user input and return to the
        > main screen. They are also working on this problem.
        > Here is their response....
        > “Thanks again for calling in to GoPro support. Sorry about that trouble
        > we are seeing with one button mode. The resolutions/frame rates that
        > seem to be affected are; 720/60, 1080/24, 1080/30, and 1440/24. Again
        > this is a known issue, and should be fixed by a future firmware update.”
        > ------------------
        > 73 Harry KC5TRB

      • HarryM
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2013
          It is documented on the GoPro web site and is an issue with all their
          cameras.

          http://gopro.com/support/articles/hot-cold-operating-temperatures-camera

          -----

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23, 2013
            That's new since I contacted them when we discovered this "feature".
            In light of of the Dreamliner Li-ion problem, this is probably a good
            idea. In fact, I think it's come into play after landing, where the
            camera shuts down before the recovery team gets to it.

            However, I think that this operational temperature limit should
            be part of the product's spec sheet. It wasn't on our GoPro. And
            there should be some tips on how to avoid unintended shutdowns, such
            as shielding it from direct sunlight, providing ventilation, etc.

            73 de Mike W5VSI

            On 4/23/13 4:05 PM, HarryM wrote:
            > It is documented on the GoPro web site and is an issue with all their
            > cameras.
            >
            > http://gopro.com/support/articles/hot-cold-operating-temperatures-camera
            >
            > -----
            >
            > Thanks. Another "undocumented feature" that showed up on our
            > GoPro Hero (Original) was the fact that it would shut down if
            > the internal temperature exceeded 120F. This happened to us
            > during testing inside the foamcore payload enclosure in bright
            > summer sunlight. The only corrective action was to keep the
            > enclosure open to air, out of the sun and powered up only
            > shortly before launch in the summer. It's not an issue during
            > the winter, however.
            >
            > It might be worth quizzing GoPro if this "feature" remains in the
            > 2 and 3 series cameras.

          • HarryM
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 25, 2013
              There is a new release of the firmware for the Hero 3 cameras as of 04/25/13.
              I tested it and it seems to have solved the “1 Button” problem.

              73 Harry KC5TRB