High Altitude Balloon Launch, April 6th, 2013, Hillsboro, TX UPDATE

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
    Hello ARHABists!

    Here included in email and attached as a PDF are REV 2 Updates to the WIALD-1 balloon launch for tomorrow, April 6, 9AM release time
    WIALD-1 is the first flight of Women In Aerospace Leadership Development, - Women Aerospace Engineers at UT Austin, TX.

    We will be meeting at IHOP on I-35 in Hillsboro at 6AM and then at the Airport by 7AM

    RDF:  A few of you noted that you would be leaving your RDF equipment behind with a disappointed tone :) so I will be including an FM MicroFox beacon on this flight. See details below.

    WIALD-1 Fast Facts

    Rev 2.0

    Updates:

          Added RDF Beacon for RDF Hobbiests at 146.550MHz

          Changed Tactical Frequencies to 146.540 MHz to alleviate bleed over from RDF Beacon

    High Altitude Balloon Launch by:

          Women In Aerospace Leadership Development  and

          supported by ARBONET, PARK and other HAM interests!

    Scheduled Launch Date: Saturday April 6, 2013

    Scheduled Launch Time: 9:00 AM CDT

    Launch Site: Hillsboro Municipal Airport (Airport Designator - KINJ)

    Flight Duration: Approximately 2.5 Hours

    Alternate Launch Date: Saturday April 7, 2013

    WIALD Website: wiald.ae.utexas.edu, Tracking on:  www.arbonet.net

    Follow us on Twitter: @UT_WIALD

    WIALD Balloon Payloads:

    WIALD Team HOBO Payload:

    Components: HOBO Barometric Pressure Sensor, HOBO Accelerometer, HOBO
    Temperature Sensor and Light Intensity Meter, Cannon Camera for still pictures

    Mass: 783 g = 1.7 lbs.

    WIALD Team GoPro Payload:

    Components: Sparkfun Acceleromter, Temperature Sensor, GoPro video Camera

    Mass: 405 g = 0.89 lbs.

    WIALD Drift HD Payload:

    Components: Drift HD720 Action Camera to record balloon burst

    Mass: 38.3 g = 0.08 lb

    WIALD APRS Tracking Payload:

    Components: Byonics MicroTrak-RTG Transmitter, Byonics GPS-4

    Mass: 633 g = 1.4 lbs

    Payload Downlink Frequency: 144.390 MHz, Tactical Call Sign: WIALD-1, K5MAE

    WIALD / ARBONET APRS Tracking Payload:

    Components: Byonics MicroTrak-300 Transmitter

    Mass: 726 g = 1.6 lbs

    Payload Downlink Frequency: 144.390 MHz, T Call Sign: K5ARB-10

    WIALD / ARBONET SPOT Tracking Payload:

    Components: SPOT Messenger with gimbaled mount

    Mass: 726 g = 1.6 lbs

    RDF Beacon

    Microfox Beacon on 146.550MHz will tone “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” followed
    by solid tone for approximately 10 seconds then followed by Morse ID code. Cycle repeats
    at 1 minute intervals. Yes, I know you want longer tone, but this makes it more challenging!

    Operational Frequencies:

    Launch Site Coordination Frequency:  146.540

    Ground Recovery Coordination Frequency: 146.540

    APRS Equipped Chase Vehicles:

    K5NOT-3                   Michael Willett Driver with Louise Willett K5RAU Navigator

    W5ADC-14               Tony Campbell Driver with TBD Navigator

    KE5LHC-11              Dan Brookshire Driver with TBD Navigator

    KD5KNR-?                Billy Mason Driver with Mike Heskett WB5QLD Navigator

    K5MAE-?                   Ciara Waldron Driver with TBD Navigator (APRS?)

    At A Glance:

          Payload APRS: K5ARB-10, WIALD-1 (with comment K5MAE)

          Payload Beacon: 144.550 FM tone / CW on one minute intervals

          Tactical Frequencies for all phases of prep through recovery: 144.540

          SPOT Tracking page for copy and paste:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=03lTKu4Aq7c13Z8s1nFenqTB1Qqq3nPDH

          APRS Tracking page for cut and paste:
    http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FK5ARB-10%2Ca%2FWIALD-1&timerange=21600&tail=21600

    Tracking links also on ARBONET.NET

  • John Dinneen
    Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013

      Good afternoon,

      Univ of Central Oklahoma has scrubbed their launch for tomorrow out of Edmond due to forecast winds > 20 mph.

      Conditions for Hillsboro look much better…..

      Since my commitment to UCO is cancelled, I will join for tracking WIALD tomorrow as KC0L-9 with APRS,

      I may not make it to breakfast, but will be at the launch site.

      73

      John F Dinneen KC├śL

      john.dinneen@...

      Home: 469.362.1942