RE: [GPSL] When will the winds change?

  • Rick von Glahn
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21 9:27 AM
      Actually the long easterly tracks for winter flights are a result of high
      altitude winds above 50K feet. In the spring and fall these winds do a 180
      and change direction. Exactly when this happens is a function mostly of your
      latitude (distance from the equator). If you look at:

      http://www.eoss.org/onlinepubs/turnaround/turn_around_winds.htm

      You will see some graphs for various latitudes in the northern hemisphere.

      The full data for "Mean Zonal Winds" is linked at the bottom of the page so
      you can generate this info for yourself at any latitude.

      73 - Rick, N0KKZ

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21 9:33 AM
        Note that these are long-term averages for doing seasonal planning.  For a specific mission and date, you will need to look at shorter-term predictions to see if current conditions are near the average or much different.

        73 de Mark N9XTN

            GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
            GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com