Re: [GPSL] When will the winds change?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20 5:20 PM
      For Texas, this would normally begin early April.  However, there is a fair amount of variation day to day and you'll have to check to see whether you have east, west, or light winds in the lower stratosphere.  It'll tend to go back and forth during the transition time.  This zone moves north through the spring and back south in the fall.

      I do have graphics at http://nstar.org/GFS where you can look at 0-16-day predictions of layers equal or higher than 100 millibars.  At these higher levels, these predictions do have some value for trends to do some initial planning.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM, excitontx <cgoldsmith@...> wrote:
      Hey weather-guys...

      In the winter, the jetstreams all collaborate in sending our balloons on long treks eastward.  During the summer, each altitude does their own thing and the flights can end up close to where they started.  Has anybody kept track of how and when this transition occurs?  March? April? (can you tell I'm anxious?).  Is it a fast transition, or does it occur over several weeks?

      Best,
      Chuck / KG5CA
      t was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.
      Charles Dickens

          GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
          GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • Rick von Glahn
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21 9:27 AM
        Actually the long easterly tracks for winter flights are a result of high
        altitude winds above 50K feet. In the spring and fall these winds do a 180
        and change direction. Exactly when this happens is a function mostly of your
        latitude (distance from the equator). If you look at:

        http://www.eoss.org/onlinepubs/turnaround/turn_around_winds.htm

        You will see some graphs for various latitudes in the northern hemisphere.

        The full data for "Mean Zonal Winds" is linked at the bottom of the page so
        you can generate this info for yourself at any latitude.

        73 - Rick, N0KKZ

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21 9:33 AM
          Note that these are long-term averages for doing seasonal planning.  For a specific mission and date, you will need to look at shorter-term predictions to see if current conditions are near the average or much different.

          73 de Mark N9XTN