Re: [GPSL] Howye 1600g

  • Anthony Stirk
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
      Hi there Harry,

      We use Hwoyee 1600g's quite a bit in the UK with He & H2. Generally aim for a lift of 5.5m/s or higher or they can float. Below 4m/s and its almost a certainty.

      The Burst Calc here : http://habhub.org/calc/ may help and some real data here :

      They have some odd characteristics and may burst early around the 26/27km mark so run predictions for that. Generally they will burst higher than you predict if they make it past this "death zone".  If you're flying expensive equipment just whack a few extra squirts of gas in ( See http://ukhas.org.uk/general:glossary 'Stirk' )

      Aim for 6m/s is my suggestion.

      Cheers,

      Anthony M0UPU

      On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:19 AM, HarryM <hhm_74115@...> wrote:

      I will be helping University of Central Oklahoma Engineering Dept. on their first balloon flight.
      They will be using a Howye 1600g balloon with between 6-8 lbs payload. I don’t have any specs
      on this balloon. I have looked
      at LiftWin using a Kaymont 1500g as a prelim. estimate.
      If you
      have flown one of these
      balloons I would like to know what your payload weight
      was and what
      your fill was in approx.
      cu/ft and/or nozzle lift & free lift. I don’t have final
      weights and specs
      for this flight, but will
      have it before the flight. I will do the predictions
      and hopefully provide
      APRS tracking.
      They are using 900mhz spread spektrum and will
      only have one tracker using
      that system.

      Tnx & 73
      Harry KC5TRB

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
        I did not see this come out the other day.

        Does anyone have any dates and times of Balloon activities at this years Dayton?

        Sig
        The Original Rolling Ball Clock
        Idle Tyme
        Idle-Tyme.com
        http://www.idle-tyme.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
          The mass of the balloon envelope doesn't affect neck lift, since
          once the balloon fill has yielded neutral buoyancy, that extra 100 gm
          has been taken care of. The rest of the picture is getting a decent
          ascent rate from the excess neck lift over the mass of the neck load,
          and for that, I'd expect that using the Totex 1500 gm figures would get
          you well within the ballpark. Yeah, that extra 100 gm of latex is
          gonna cost ya some extra gas, but who arrives at the launch site with
          no more than the LiftWin forecast gas volume?

          73 de Mike W5VSI

          On 3/11/13 6:19 AM, BASE wrote:
          > Harry,
          >
          > I have flown the Hwoyee 1600 gram balloon a couple of times. I used
          > LiftWin for the predictions and simply added 100 grams to the payload
          > string to account for the extra balloon mass. The ascent rate was very
          > close to the prediction. The balloons did burst at a higher altitude and
          > since I was flying in August, the flight string did move farther west
          > during the extra time above 100 kft.
          >
          > Howard, KC9QBN

        • wb8elk
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
            BalloonSat Forum is from 12:15 to 2:15 pm on Friday.

            Balloon Launch will be at the south end of the main Arena at the exit to the Flea Market. We will be flying APRS on 144.39: WB8ELK-11 and an ARBONET SSTV payload most likely on 144.36.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
              Thanks for all the input!

              I’m trying to get them to reduce weight as they will only have one tank of He (230cu/ft) and with their original estimated 8 lbs that is not going to be enough. I’m trying to get them to reduce the weight to 6lbs including my 1lb tracker.
            • HarryM
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
                I will need at least one 1200g balloon for GPSL and wondered if anyone has a spare Howye I could buy from them if I don’t get one by then? I haven’t kept up with the purchasing process so please inform me of what I need to do to order a couple. If I remember right I think Bruce had some for resale. What say ye Bruce!

                73
                Harry KC5TRB

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
                  Hmmm ... trade 'em an 800 or 1200 for the 1200? Might be enough
                  to make 230 CF of He work. Better yet, trade 'em 3 T-bottles of H2
                  for their K of He!
                  73 de Mike W5VSI

                  On 3/11/13 3:27 PM, HarryM wrote:

                  > Thanks for all the input!
                  > I’m trying to get them to reduce weight as they will only have one tank
                  > of He (230cu/ft) and with their original estimated 8 lbs that is not
                  > going to be enough. I’m trying to get them to reduce the weight to 6lbs
                  > including my 1lb tracker.

                • Bruce Coates
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
                    Hi Harry

                    Although I have a couple on hand and I'd like to help you out, Scientific Sales claims the the exclusive rights to sell Hwoyee in the US and if they get wind of any US ham getting a balloon from anywhere else, especially from a fellow Canadian ham's personal supply they're likely to try again to force Hwoyee to stop dealing with me.

                    73, Bruce