Re: [GPSL] Howye 1600g

  • BASE
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
      Harry,

      I have flown the Hwoyee 1600 gram balloon a couple of times.  I used LiftWin for the predictions and simply added 100 grams to the payload string to account for the extra balloon mass.  The ascent rate was very close to the prediction. The balloons did burst at a higher altitude and since I was flying in August, the flight string did move farther west during the extra time above 100 kft.

      Howard, KC9QBN

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
        Hi there Harry,

        We use Hwoyee 1600g's quite a bit in the UK with He & H2. Generally aim for a lift of 5.5m/s or higher or they can float. Below 4m/s and its almost a certainty.

        The Burst Calc here : http://habhub.org/calc/ may help and some real data here :

        They have some odd characteristics and may burst early around the 26/27km mark so run predictions for that. Generally they will burst higher than you predict if they make it past this "death zone".  If you're flying expensive equipment just whack a few extra squirts of gas in ( See http://ukhas.org.uk/general:glossary 'Stirk' )

        Aim for 6m/s is my suggestion.

        Cheers,

        Anthony M0UPU

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
          I did not see this come out the other day.

          Does anyone have any dates and times of Balloon activities at this years Dayton?

          Sig
          The Original Rolling Ball Clock
          Idle Tyme
          Idle-Tyme.com
          http://www.idle-tyme.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
            The mass of the balloon envelope doesn't affect neck lift, since
            once the balloon fill has yielded neutral buoyancy, that extra 100 gm
            has been taken care of. The rest of the picture is getting a decent
            ascent rate from the excess neck lift over the mass of the neck load,
            and for that, I'd expect that using the Totex 1500 gm figures would get
            you well within the ballpark. Yeah, that extra 100 gm of latex is
            gonna cost ya some extra gas, but who arrives at the launch site with
            no more than the LiftWin forecast gas volume?

            73 de Mike W5VSI

            On 3/11/13 6:19 AM, BASE wrote:
            > Harry,
            >
            > I have flown the Hwoyee 1600 gram balloon a couple of times. I used
            > LiftWin for the predictions and simply added 100 grams to the payload
            > string to account for the extra balloon mass. The ascent rate was very
            > close to the prediction. The balloons did burst at a higher altitude and
            > since I was flying in August, the flight string did move farther west
            > during the extra time above 100 kft.
            >
            > Howard, KC9QBN

          • wb8elk
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
              BalloonSat Forum is from 12:15 to 2:15 pm on Friday.

              Balloon Launch will be at the south end of the main Arena at the exit to the Flea Market. We will be flying APRS on 144.39: WB8ELK-11 and an ARBONET SSTV payload most likely on 144.36.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
                Thanks for all the input!

                I’m trying to get them to reduce weight as they will only have one tank of He (230cu/ft) and with their original estimated 8 lbs that is not going to be enough. I’m trying to get them to reduce the weight to 6lbs including my 1lb tracker.
              • HarryM
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
                  I will need at least one 1200g balloon for GPSL and wondered if anyone has a spare Howye I could buy from them if I don’t get one by then? I haven’t kept up with the purchasing process so please inform me of what I need to do to order a couple. If I remember right I think Bruce had some for resale. What say ye Bruce!

                  73
                  Harry KC5TRB

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
                    Hmmm ... trade 'em an 800 or 1200 for the 1200? Might be enough
                    to make 230 CF of He work. Better yet, trade 'em 3 T-bottles of H2
                    for their K of He!
                    73 de Mike W5VSI

                    On 3/11/13 3:27 PM, HarryM wrote:

                    > Thanks for all the input!
                    > I’m trying to get them to reduce weight as they will only have one tank
                    > of He (230cu/ft) and with their original estimated 8 lbs that is not
                    > going to be enough. I’m trying to get them to reduce the weight to 6lbs
                    > including my 1lb tracker.

                  • Bruce Coates
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 11, 2013
                      Hi Harry

                      Although I have a couple on hand and I'd like to help you out, Scientific Sales claims the the exclusive rights to sell Hwoyee in the US and if they get wind of any US ham getting a balloon from anywhere else, especially from a fellow Canadian ham's personal supply they're likely to try again to force Hwoyee to stop dealing with me.

                      73, Bruce