RE: [GPSL] The List of States Considering UAS ('Drone') Legisalation Grows | AMA Government Relations Blog

  • Hanson, Douglas R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFI
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2013
    All,
    In California, Senate Bill 15 was introduced by Senator Padilla (attached). The bill only suggests that legislation be enacted that would establish appropriate standards for the use of unmanned aircraft systems. I have emailed my district senator. In it, I asked what defines an "unmanned aircraft system". I also encouraged the senator to check out the ARHAB website to get a better understanding of what we do. I'll post any feedback from the senator here.

    Ryan, KJ6YXG

    Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
      Hi Chuck,

      Thanks for the tip re TX legislative overreach. Hope your appeal does
      some good.

      I have no solid figures re how many folks are active in ARHAB in the US
      or worldwide, but I suspect it's it's in the 4 figures. There have been
      spurts of discussion in the community re setting up a national
      ARHAB organization to represent our interests before government, such
      as the R/C model aircraft hobbyists do and like the ARRL does for hams.
      We even heard a presentation by one of the officers of the AMA (Am.
      Modelers Assn.?) at GPSL in Hutch a few years back re creating an AMA
      chapter for ARHAB - but he was talking annual dues that were in the
      sticker shock range.

      Chris Koehler might have some idea from his vantage point in NASA's
      Space Grant Consortium.

      73 de Mike W5VSI

      On 2/20/13 9:55 AM, excitontx wrote:
      > Texas is also considering HB912 that makes it makes it a Class C misdemeanor to capture "sound waves, thermal, infrared, ultraviolet,
      > visible light, or other electromagnetic waves, odor, or other
      > conditions" using an unmanned vehicle. It also makes it an offense to "possesses, discloses, displays, distributes, or otherwise use such an image." I think this would do far more than just stop nosey papparazzi from snooping on movie stars. It would preclude any HAB photography or atmospheric data collection within Texas.
      >
      > I am going to write my representatives to point out the impact this legislation will have on our hobby. So my question is....are there any statistics as to how many people are in this hobby, and/or how much it is growing amongst high schools and colleges as a tool for promoting science and technology?
      >
      > Any sources of information, or suggestions, would be appreciated.
      >
      > Best,
      > Chuck / KG5CA
      >
      > --- In GPSL@yahoogroups.com, Mike Manes <mrmanes@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Could be trouble for balloon payloads carrying cameras.
      >>
      >> http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2013/02/06/the-list-of-states-considering-uas-drone-legisalation-grows/
      >>
      >> 73 de Mike W5VSI

    • BASE
      Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
        Chuck,

        I'd recommend contacting the Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility in Texas.  As I read the brief summary, this legislation would ban any flights from Palestine, TX.  I know that the LaACES program at LSU has used the Texas launch site.  This legislation not only impacts hobbyists, but ongoing scientific research by educational groups.

        Howard, KC9QBN

        Thanks for the tip re TX legislative overreach. Hope your appeal does
        some good.

        I have no solid figures re how many folks are active in ARHAB in the US
        or worldwide, but I suspect it's it's in the 4 figures. There have been
        spurts of discussion in the community re setting up a national
        ARHAB organization to represent our interests before government, such
        as the R/C model aircraft hobbyists do and like the ARRL does for hams.
        We even heard a presentation by one of the officers of the AMA (Am.
        Modelers Assn.?) at GPSL in Hutch a few years back re creating an AMA
        chapter for ARHAB - but he was talking annual dues that were in the
        sticker shock range.

        Chris Koehler might have some idea from his vantage point in NASA's
        Space Grant Consortium.

        73 de Mike W5VSI

        On 2/20/13 9:55 AM, excitontx wrote:
        > Texas is also considering HB912 that makes it makes it a Class C misdemeanor to capture "sound waves, thermal, infrared, ultraviolet,
        > visible light, or other electromagnetic waves, odor, or other
        > conditions" using an unmanned vehicle. It also makes it an offense to "possesses, discloses, displays, distributes, or otherwise use such an image." I think this would do far more than just stop nosey papparazzi from snooping on movie stars. It would preclude any HAB photography or atmospheric data collection within Texas.
        >
        > I am going to write my representatives to point out the impact this legislation will have on our hobby. So my question is....are there any statistics as to how many people are in this hobby, and/or how much it is growing amongst high schools and colleges as a tool for promoting science and technology?
        >
        > Any sources of information, or suggestions, would be appreciated.
        >
        > Best,
        > Chuck / KG5CA
        >
        > --- In GPSL@yahoogroups.com, Mike Manes wrote:
        >>
        >> Could be trouble for balloon payloads carrying cameras.
        >>
        >> http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2013/02/06/the-list-of-states-considering-uas-drone-legisalation-grows/
        >>
        >> 73 de Mike W5VSI

      • James Ewen
        Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
          > On 2/20/13 9:55 AM, excitontx wrote:
          > Texas is also considering HB912 that makes it makes it a Class C misdemeanor to capture
          > "sound waves, thermal, infrared, ultraviolet, visible light, or other electromagnetic waves, odor,
          > or other conditions" using an unmanned vehicle.--

          So that legislation would make impossible to fly remote controlled
          model aircraft as well since the remote control is accomplished using
          electromagnetic waves which are captured and processed by the onboard
          radio receiver.

          This is the problem when technically inept individuals or groups
          attempt to create a broad reaching scope without a clue about the
          subject matter at hand.

          Just remember... you may have elected these morons!

          James
          VE6SRV