Re: ATV

  • shermane2001
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 9, 2005
      MECSAT is tentatively planning to fly ATV on 439.25. We've only done
      one trial run and want a shot with experienced ATV'ers (i.e. EOSS,
      etc.) around.
    • Don KA0JLF
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 9, 2005
        How much power does your ATV put out? Is your antenna
        vertical or horiz.?

        We only have 90mw and a 1/2 w dipole vertical. We are
        rock bound on 439.25.

        73
        Don KA0JLF

        --- shermane2001 <shermane@...> wrote:

        > MECSAT is tentatively planning to fly ATV on 439.25.
        > We've only done
        > one trial run and want a shot with experienced
        > ATV'ers (i.e. EOSS,
        > etc.) around.

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/
      • shermane2001
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 9, 2005
          The antenna is horiz and we have a 1w transmitter. We're set up for
          439.25 but could do 434.

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 10, 2005
            I think the only two DSB AM ATV freqs we can use w/o QRM are 426.25 and
            439.25. With a 12 MHz bandwidth, 434 MHz will QRM both of those.

            Cross-polarization might help, however.

            73 de Mike W5VSI

            shermane2001 wrote:

            > The antenna is horiz and we have a 1w transmitter. We're set up for
            > 439.25 but could do 434.
            >
            > --- In GPSL@yahoogroups.com, Don KA0JLF <ka0jlf@a...> wrote:
            > > How much power does your ATV put out? Is your antenna
            > > vertical or horiz.?
            > >
            > > We only have 90mw and a 1/2 w dipole vertical. We are
            > > rock bound on 439.25.
            > >
            > > 73
            > > Don KA0JLF
            > >
            > > --- shermane2001 <shermane@v...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > MECSAT is tentatively planning to fly ATV on 439.25.
            > > > We've only done
            > > > one trial run and want a shot with experienced
            > > > ATV'ers (i.e. EOSS,
            > > > etc.) around.

            Einstein
          • Don KA0JLF
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 10, 2005
              With our low power, and normal seperation of balloons,
              and being the opposite polarity, I don't think we
              should interfer with anyone. ;-)

              Don

              --- Mike Manes <manes@...> wrote:

              > I think the only two DSB AM ATV freqs we can use w/o
              > QRM are 426.25 and
              > 439.25. With a 12 MHz bandwidth, 434 MHz will QRM
              > both of those.
              >
              > Cross-polarization might help, however.
              >
              > 73 de Mike W5VSI
              >
              > shermane2001 wrote:
              > >
              > > The antenna is horiz and we have a 1w transmitter.
              > We're set up for
              > > 439.25 but could do 434.
              > >
              > > --- In GPSL@yahoogroups.com, Don KA0JLF
              > <ka0jlf@a...> wrote:
              > > > How much power does your ATV put out? Is your
              > antenna
              > > > vertical or horiz.?
              > > >
              > > > We only have 90mw and a 1/2 w dipole vertical.
              > We are
              > > > rock bound on 439.25.
              > > >
              > > > 73
              > > > Don KA0JLF

              > 439.25.

              > Mike Manes manes@... Tel:
              > 303-979-4899
              > "Things should be made as simple as possible, but
              > not more so." A.
              > Einstein

              __________________________________
              Discover Yahoo!
              http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 3, 2005
                Hi Bill,

                Just got back home from Omaha a few hours ago.

                This came in after I'd already loaded the ATV into Rick N0KKZ's SUV -
                so figured I could reply in person in Omaha. Glad you get the bug out -
                we've had big probs with 70cm ATV getting into a local GPS as well. Let
                me know how you fixed yours!

                BTW, you'll be happy to know that Chris KB0YRZ >>finally<< got a great
                tape of both of our ATV sigs in flight from his mobile rig! We'll have
                arrange for a copy to you!

                Really happy to see that our "TDM" scheme worked so well! Hardly any
                crossover at all!

                The EOSS payload landed just 1.2 mi from Rick's prediction, in a pasture
                about 200 ft from a corn field and another 100 yd from a wooded creek.
                Randy NQ0R saw it land, and the rest of the EOSS team watched the decent
                from about 1/2 mi away. The farmer joined us in the short hike to
                recovery and pointed us to great little cafe in Grant, Zelda's.

                What a great event! Kudos to Mark Conner for setting it up. And thanks
                to YOU for pioneering a new aspect of ham radio that seems to be
                burgeoning
                in popularity, particularly amongst colleges.

                73 de Mike W5VSI

                WB8ELK@... wrote:

                > Hi Mike,
                >
                > Just in case I don't fly my ATV payload (having a problem or two with
                > it at the moment - will try to fix in my hotel), you might want to
                > make it easy to switch yours to continuous operation if you have a
                > clear channel.
                >
                > 73s de Bill WB8ELK

                Einstein
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 4 5:33 AM
                  Does anyone fly amateur television anymore? What about digital? It seems to me that digital requires a PC and that's not practical on a balloon flight. Thanks
                • Michael Hojnowski
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 4 7:40 AM
                    On 12/4/2017 8:33 AM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] wrote:

                    Does anyone fly amateur television anymore? What about digital? It seems to me that digital requires a PC and that's not practical on a balloon flight. Thanks

                    I've had the gear for about 2 years.  I just haven't gotten 'round to it, as it's a significant investment in the payload.  I launched a HAB from a local hamfest last year, and sparked a lot of interest in balloons. I may talk to the hamfest organizers about launching an ATV flight next year.  It might be fun if they had a ground station at the fest that could monitor the flight after launch.

                    Mike
                  • Michael Hojnowski
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 4 8:16 AM
                    Joe,

                    Funny you should mention GPS.  Ya, that was causing me problems as I tested my payload.  I wired up an on-screen display module, with the intent to overlay Lat / Long / Altitude data on the picture.  It works great with a low power transmitter.  When I put my "big" transmitter on there, the GPS wouldn't get a lock.  I need to rethink my payload setup and get the GPS module away from the transmit antenna, and maybe think about some shielding.  Between that, and being hesitant about the expense in the event of a lost payload, that's when I set it all aside.

                    Mike / KD2EAT

                    On 12/4/2017 11:05 AM, Joe wrote:
                    ATV flights is the heart of all this ballooning stuff! It's mostly all we did way back in the beginning what 30 years ago now, UG! I've been doing these things for 30 years!?

                    ATV is TOUGH tho to do good. People are sooo used to the new TV where pictures are always PERFECT. an ATV from a Balloon will NEVER be perfect. Even right after liftoff when the payload is only 100 yards away. Multipath can rip the signal to shreds even tho it's incredibly strong!

                    I would do a Video flight of your own before doing a public one so you can see what your results would be.

                    The biggest recv antenna ya can get is a MUST as well as a high gain low noise preamp. AT THE ANTENNA

                    There is a REASON TV stations run megawatts!

                    Also if you plan on using a GPS system. Place it in a totally separate from the ATV transmitter, from 50+ flights with GPS's onboard, the only times we had ANY trouble with a GPS, is when we were running an ATV transmitter. separating them cured that issue.

                    Joe WB9SBD
                    Sig
                    The Original Rolling Ball Clock
                    Idle Tyme
                    Idle-Tyme.com
                    http://www.idle-tyme.com

                    Message 11 of 17 , Dec 4 8:41 AM
                      We flew our first ATV package on November 18, 1990 from Denver. A video of the flight is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6_WG71C-s&t=256s
                      Now we use PiCams, Raspberry Pis, and 5.8 GHz Wifi Modems. Is this still considered ATV?
                      Jack Crabtree

                      Message 12 of 17 , Dec 4 8:42 AM
                        On 12/4/2017 11:23 AM, Joe wrote:
                        What are ya using for a tranny?

                        Videolynx VM-70X 5 watt transmiter.

                        Mike/KD2EAT

                              Message 16 of 17 , Dec 5 1:31 PM
                                So ATV is still being flown.

                                Does everyone feel they're flying ATV as much as it was in the past?

                                I've only flown ATV for one year followed by flying SSTV the next year. I gave them up after video cameras became cheap enough to launch. I've always liked their quality over ATV and SSTV.

                                On Dec 5, 2017 2:22 PM, <wb8elk@...> wrote:
                                The local university still flies ATV on 434 MHz as well as payloads that I still fly on occasion. I use the VM-70X TV transmitter by PC Electronics along with their Little Wheel antenna.

                                I have also been flying SSTV via the SSTVcam by Argent Data hooked up to a 2m FM transmitter.

                                Message 17 of 17 , Dec 5 6:24 PM
                                  We have been flying a DVB-T Digital camera/transmitter for our past couple of summer flights.  The unit is from HiRes (www.hires.com.tw) and the latest model is a DC-105.  The unit only puts out a couple mW on 434 MHz, so a very linear amplifier is required to get sufficient power (~300-500 mW) for the downlink.  I'm not the ATV/DTV guru in the group, but I think the digital config is 16 QAM at 4 Mbps data rate, although they have been tuning the config to get the best quality video from a spinning payload.

                                  Another cool payload we flew last August was a DMR repeater (stripped down Motorola XPR8300) that performed beyond expectations.  It only had ~15mW output as the final PA was blown and a mini-circuits amp was hacked in-line to get the 15 mW out.  The guy that supplied that payload is already working to build a lighter version.

                                  John
                                  AB5SS