KC0ZMX-11

  • Pete Lilja
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
      Does anyone know if KC0ZMX-11 (and chase KC0ZMX-7) is an intentional floater?

      Pete
      KC0GPB
      Also in Iowa
    • James Coxon

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
          On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Pete Lilja <plilja@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know if KC0ZMX-11 (and chase KC0ZMX-7) is an intentional
          > floater?

          Doesn't look much like a floater since it was in a climb all the way to burst. Then of course, a chase crew usually doesn't follow a floater as the chase tends to be very expensive, especially for a trans-atlantic flight.

          The winds are pretty strong, so the balloons are going a fair distance downrange.

          Inline image 1

          Here's a flight from today in my area... the balloon took off at close to 100 mph as it dropped through the jet stream on the way down. We're holding off on our flights waiting for a day where we don't have to chase 3 hours downwind for recovery.

          --
          James
          VE6SRV