APRS path question

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
      I've used RELAY, WIDE, WIDE and also RELAY, WIDE2-2 in past flights....is there a consensus as to the best path to use so as not to tie up the APRS network but still get good updates?

      Just curious what path other groups have been using.

      - Bill WB8ELK
    • Rochte, Robert
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
        Bob Bruninga has recently recommended alternating paths of WIDE and WIDE2-2.  The WIDE is still used in case the digis in your flight area haven't yet switched to the new WIDEn-n paradigm.  RELAY and WIDE1-1 shouldn't be used at altitude at all.

        These alternating paths worked fine on my recent SD7 flight - the only problems were caused by flying over Ohio on the same day as Hamvention (the network was just a *little* congested that day!)....

        73,
        Robert
        KC8UCH

        I've used RELAY, WIDE, WIDE and also RELAY, WIDE2-2 in past flights....is there a consensus as to the best path to use so as not to tie up the APRS network but still get good updates?

        Just curious what path other groups have been using.

        - Bill WB8ELK
      • David Hoffman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
          There was a balloon flight over Hamvention on that weekend? Wow, did I
          miss the announcements?

          David Hoffman - KE4FGW

          > Bob Bruninga has recently recommended alternating paths of WIDE and
          > WIDE2-2.
          > The WIDE is still used in case the digis in your flight area haven't yet
          > switched to the new WIDEn-n paradigm. RELAY and WIDE1-1 shouldn't be used
          > at altitude at all.
          >
          > These alternating paths worked fine on my recent SD7 flight - the only
          > problems were caused by flying over Ohio on the same day as Hamvention
          > (the
          > network was just a *little* congested that day!)....
          >
          > 73,
          > Robert
          > KC8UCH

        • Rochte, Robert
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005

            >There was a balloon flight over Hamvention on that weekend? Wow, did I
            >miss the announcements?

            Yes, the flight started north of Detroit, spent most of the day over
            south-central Ohio and landed just north of the North Carolina border near
            Stuart, VA, around midnight. The announcement didn't go out until that
            morning, so few people looked for it.

            I had this bright idea that we'd give all of the APRS users at Hamvention
            something to see - without considering just how clogged the network would be
            that day! The result was that very few packets were Igated once the balloon
            was over central Ohio (the bulk of the flight)...

            The track is still viewable on APRSworld.net - callsign used was KC8UCH-11.

            73,
            Robert
          • n9xtn@cox.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
              Much of the central/western Iowa area is migrating away from the use of RELAY and WIDE. Eastern Nebraska still uses both, but is also capable of WIDEN-n.

              My recommendation for any 144.39 balloon beacons is to use WIDE2-1. This will give you one hop through any of the WIDEN-n digipeaters in the area. I think running WIDE2-2 with an airborne beacon would cause a lot of QRM (two hops), especially since many of us will be running backup beacons on 144.39.

              Besides, it is unlikely we'll be landing close enough to a RELAY-only station to be of any use for final location tracking.

              From: wb8elk@...
              Date: Friday, June 3, 2005 4:04 am