Re: [GPSL] Balloons and Telescope

    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2005
      What were the winds doing on this particular flight near burst?

      Zack

      PAUL VERHAGE wrote:

      >At Fire in the Sky, a high power rocket launch, amateur astronomers set
      >up telescope for public use. During the day, I had them turn a couple
      >of telescopes to the balloon we launched. At 87,000 feet we could see
      >the balloon and payload clearly at 48 power.
      >
      >The payload string was swingly until 80,000 feet, when it hung still.
      >At balloon burst, the latex and talcum power formed a disk of stars
      >above the parachute. The astronomers were able to follow the parachute
      >all the way down. It was amazing!
      >
      >We ought to see if we can get the Ohama Astronomical Society to do a
      >visual track on the balloons we're launching. I'd like to see them get
      >some photos. Mark, will you have time to do this? I was a member of
      >the club when I was stationed at SAC. I can contact them if you're
      >already busy enough.
      >
      >Paul
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • PAUL VERHAGE
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2005
        I got the data set for this flight this morning, so I haven't had time
        to look at them. The winds did get light with altitude, but as I
        recall, they were light much lower than 80,000 feet.

        I'll gen the charts tonight and pass the results along.

        Paul

        >>> zclobes@... 05/31/05 11:02 AM >>>