Balloons and Telescope

  • PAUL VERHAGE
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2005
      At Fire in the Sky, a high power rocket launch, amateur astronomers set
      up telescope for public use. During the day, I had them turn a couple
      of telescopes to the balloon we launched. At 87,000 feet we could see
      the balloon and payload clearly at 48 power.

      The payload string was swingly until 80,000 feet, when it hung still.
      At balloon burst, the latex and talcum power formed a disk of stars
      above the parachute. The astronomers were able to follow the parachute
      all the way down. It was amazing!

      We ought to see if we can get the Ohama Astronomical Society to do a
      visual track on the balloons we're launching. I'd like to see them get
      some photos. Mark, will you have time to do this? I was a member of
      the club when I was stationed at SAC. I can contact them if you're
      already busy enough.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2005
        What were the winds doing on this particular flight near burst?

        Zack

        PAUL VERHAGE wrote:

        >At Fire in the Sky, a high power rocket launch, amateur astronomers set
        >up telescope for public use. During the day, I had them turn a couple
        >of telescopes to the balloon we launched. At 87,000 feet we could see
        >the balloon and payload clearly at 48 power.
        >
        >The payload string was swingly until 80,000 feet, when it hung still.
        >At balloon burst, the latex and talcum power formed a disk of stars
        >above the parachute. The astronomers were able to follow the parachute
        >all the way down. It was amazing!
        >
        >We ought to see if we can get the Ohama Astronomical Society to do a
        >visual track on the balloons we're launching. I'd like to see them get
        >some photos. Mark, will you have time to do this? I was a member of
        >the club when I was stationed at SAC. I can contact them if you're
        >already busy enough.
        >
        >Paul
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • PAUL VERHAGE
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2005
          I got the data set for this flight this morning, so I haven't had time
          to look at them. The winds did get light with altitude, but as I
          recall, they were light much lower than 80,000 feet.

          I'll gen the charts tonight and pass the results along.

          Paul

          >>> zclobes@... 05/31/05 11:02 AM >>>