Re: [GPSL] Jump

    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
      When I googled the callsign, I see links to "Q4STAR" which I think was the group that caught one of the last space shuttle flights on camera from a ARHAB balloon.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
      Who's flying http://aprs.fi/kj6nka

      Looks like it went up just before Felix. Is it associated with the jump?

      We flew a balloon just before Michel Fournier's Le Grand Saut attempt
      in order to get flight track data for our final predictions in order
      to be ready for recovery operations.

      --
      James
      VE6SRV

          GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
          GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • Marty Griffin
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
        The video at 82,000 ft is spectacular! Go Felix!
        - Marty

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
          On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:

          > When I googled the callsign, I see links to "Q4STAR" which I think was the
          > group that caught one of the last space shuttle flights on camera from a
          > ARHAB balloon.

          If those Red Bull guys knew what they were doing, there would be an
          APRS tracker onboard! 8)
          --
          James
          VE6SRV
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
            Yeah, they coulda used Joe Kittenger's call: N4HDP (Hot Dog
            Pilot) dash 11.
            73 de Mike W5VSI

            On 10/14/12 11:02 AM, James Ewen wrote:
            > On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:
            >
            >> When I googled the callsign, I see links to "Q4STAR" which I think was the
            >> group that caught one of the last space shuttle flights on camera from a
            >> ARHAB balloon.
            >
            > If those Red Bull guys knew what they were doing, there would be an
            > APRS tracker onboard! 8)

          • James Ewen
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
              Looking down from the capsule looks identical to the Google Earth shot
              from my projected path... what amazing technology we have at our
              fingertips!

              James
              VE6SRV
            • James Ewen
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
                Looks like they dropped ballast after neutral buoyancy...

                --
                James
                VE6SRV

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012

                    Yep..he parachuted out about 5 miles west of my predicted landing spot.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
                      WHEW! Can start breathing again!
                      - Mike W5VSI

                      On 10/14/12 12:19 PM, wb8elk@... wrote:

                      > Yep..he parachuted out about 5 miles west of my predicted landing spot.
                      >
                      > - Bill WB8ELK

                    • James Ewen
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
                        So, Felix was having issues with the visor fogging, which would impair
                        his ability to see his instruments, and judge altitude. He pulled
                        before he broke Kittenger's free fall duration record. Was that
                        intentional, or just coincidence?

                        --
                        James
                        VE6SRV

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
                            Hey what's with cutting off the feed? I want to see capsule and
                            envelope recovery operations... the little guy inside was just part of
                            the flight!

                            --
                            James
                            VE6SRV
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
                              On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Joe <nss@...> wrote:

                              > Bill did you notice, it was cool, to see him gain an extra 200 feet when
                              > he dropped the weight of the air of the pressurized cabin. He had a pretty
                              > stable float, then when he dumped the air, he rose another 200 or so.

                              Was that due to dumping cabin pressure, or just bobble? They leveled
                              out for a while, then must have dumped ballast as they shot up at
                              nearly 2000 ft/min. Then they hit neutral buoyancy again. While Felix
                              was dumping to ambient atmospheric pressure, the balloon was actually
                              descending. While Felix was fighting with trying to open the door
                              while the capsule was still pressurized, the whole train may have just
                              been bobbing back up to float altitude.

                              We'd have to look at the data, both altitude and cabin pressure to see
                              if there actually was a correlation.

                              --
                              James
                              VE6SRV

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012

                                    Do we know who was on the launch crew and who made the envelope?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Dan

                                    Go to http://www.redbullstratos.com/gallery/ and search around to find details.

                                    They seem to have assembled a team from ATA Aerospace.

                                    See
                                    Minute 1:42 in this video of a test flight:  "MADE IN INDIA" on a balloon box.
                                    http://www.redbullstratos.com/gallery/?mediaId=media1501659393001

                                    discussion of today's balloon here (30 million cubic feet volume, 3700 pounds balloon weight)
                                    http://www.redbullstratos.com/gallery/?mediaId=media1502731210001

                                    Norm KB7ZJT
                                  • HarryM
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
                                      Thay dumped ballast early on. I can’t remember the alt.
                                      Then they used the vent valve/s in the top of the envelope to stop the ascent.
                                      They may have cycled the valves to maintain alt while doing the pre-jump check list.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
                                        On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM, HarryM <hhm_74115@...> wrote:

                                        > Thay dumped ballast early on. I can’t remember the alt.

                                        The colour commentator talked about dumping ballast, but he really had
                                        no clue what he was talking about.

                                        As they were just clearing the top of the jetstream, he was trying to
                                        explain that they would drop ballast to stop the drift to the east,
                                        but at that point the payload was just starting to make it's turn back
                                        to the west. Dropping ballast at that point would increase the ascent
                                        rate, reducing the amount of time in the reversing winds at altitude,
                                        the very winds that would bring the capsule back to the launch area.

                                        At one point he talked about them dropping ballast from the bottom of
                                        the balloon, but that it was "light weight ballast, that wouldn't harm
                                        the capsule if it hit it." The commentator then was corrected, and
                                        said that the ballast was at the bottom of the capsule... You could
                                        hear the woman beside him correcting him over and over throughout the
                                        flight.

                                        > Then they used the vent valve/s in the top of the envelope to stop the
                                        > ascent.
                                        > They may have cycled the valves to maintain alt while doing the pre-jump
                                        > check list.

                                        If you dump the gas from the balloon, you can't regain the lift again.
                                        I would say that they rose to neutral buoyancy at around 120,000 and
                                        then dropped all ballast which put them rocketing up at 2000 ft/min to
                                        the 128,000 foot buoyancy level

                                        > Looks like they dropped ballast after neutral buoyancy...

                                        This I would agree upon, but not opening the dump valve. It sure was
                                        an impressive sight watching the last 30,000 feet of ascent and the
                                        way the envelope filled out!

                                        --
                                        James
                                        VE6SRV
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
                                          The commentator stated that they were using the valve at the top of the
                                          envelope to stop the ascent.
                                          Solar heating would account for a small amount of lift after that.
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 14, 2012
                                            He was coming down a lot faster than Capt. Joe, however.