Space Day balloon splashes down in the middle of the Ohio River

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2012
      As part of Space Day activities this past Saturday at Spaceport Indiana we launched a balloon with 60 students in attendance from the IUPUC campus in Columbus, IN. The 600 gram hydrogen balloon carried APRS, DominoEX and an Iridium modem as well as an IUPUC student experiment. Burst occurred at 78,000 feet.

      If you look at the APRS map for WB8ELK-11, you'll see that the last report shows it over the middle of the Ohio River....and yes indeed it splashed down right in the middle of the the river.

      Four hours after splashdown, I received a phone call from a fellow on a houseboat on the Ohio River just east of Madison, IN. He had spotted our payloads floating in the middle of the river, pulled them onto his houseboat and saw my "Backup Recovery System" - the REWARD sign.

      I'll be meeting the owner of the boat in Rabbit Hash, KY on Tuesday to retrieve the payloads and hopefully they won't be too waterlogged.