Re: [GPSL] Raspberry Pi used as flight computer aboard black-sky balloon . The Register

  • Anthony Stirk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2012
      Hi Barry,

      Its Daves blog not mine  but yes we are aware of the issues with GPS interference (Someone mentioned it on the GPSL list which explained the loss of my first payloads GPS). Dave is still mad at me for sticking a MDS 90 camera to his payload once and breaking it. Due to the lack of time for testing we flew 2 other trackers on the balloon just to be sure. I think Dave plans to have more shielding next time (we are developing a board with an external antenna for the GPS and utilising the uBlox 6 chip). Its worth noting for the record that the AEE MDS-90 also easily jams the latest uBLOX 6 modules with passive antennas however the GoPro's don't jam the signal.

      Cheers,

      Anthony

      On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Barry Sloan <barry2@...> wrote:

      A few comments after checking out your : http://www.daveakerman.com/?p=592 link.

      You mention having GPS problems due to interference and from one of the images it appears you were using a Trimble Lassen iQ GPS receiver which from my experience is very poor in this respect. After unsuccessfully getting my first iQ receiver to function I figured it must be defective and ordered another from a different supplier, but ended up buying 2 more before using my laptop to test them and discovering that they were all OK, except when within 15-20 feet of the PC that I had been using and which was used to test all the other GPS receivers I have without any problems. I was hoping the problem was limited to some specific frequency the PC emitted, but after experiencing problems using the iQ on several flights with different cameras set the iQ receivers aside and now use Copernicus receivers. I was going to add that it was just as well that the switching regulators you ordered didn’t arrive in time for the flight as most generate terrible RFI for GPS receivers, but in your case the GPS had already failed so they could have likely been used OK without any further problems. Digital cameras and anything else digital all generate RFI and even though things appear to be ok on the ground, we’ve had problems several times after things were airborne due to RFI frequencies changing due to temperature and/or battery voltages changes which is why we now always use a second tracker in a separate enclosure away from all the RFI generating devices. Anyway, just figured I’d pass on my experiences with the iQ in case they help avoid future problems.

      Barry - VE6SBS

      http://bear.sbszoo.com