UAH Balloonsat Flight found near Rome GA

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2005
      We only flew the first balloon today (StratosFear) since the 3Mall team wasn't ready to fly.

      Beautiful weather today with barely any surface winds. It was so clear that the balloon burst was visible from the ground and the parachute could be seen as it descended through 50,000 feet.

      We're not sure if the student cutdown system worked since they fired it after balloon burst so it will have to be analyzed to see if it fired when they get it out of the tree.

      However, N4TXI's parachuting Buzz Lightyear was successfully dropped via a remotely controlled servo mechanism at 80,000 feet via a packet uplink to Gary's newly designed packet board based on the Atmel AVR Mega 8 (called the WhereAVR)....details on it's construction and open-source code can be found at: http://www.garydion.com.  The nice thing about this APRS controller is that it is a single chip solution that includes the capability of receiving packet commands as well as APRS and telemetry downlinks.

      The balloon landed 10 miles west of Rome, GA:

      34d 16.727m
      85d 22.455m

      There is an APRS object called UAHfound on Findu as well.

      http://map.findu.com/uahfound

      It landed 40 feet up in a tree near a small clearing...the recovery team is trying to retrieve it currently.

      73s de Bill WB8ELK

      There will be 3 flights next Saturday....callsigns and payload configurations will be announced later in the week.