Re: [GPSL] GPSL participation

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2005
      Hi,

      Well, it certainly is gratifying to learn about new balloon groups being
      spawned from Chris Koehler's BalloonSat Workshop! EOSS is proud to have
      played a small part in that effort, and will be glad to work further
      with
      you at GPSL. Not sure at this point what our payload complement will
      be,
      but I expect that we'll already be loaded close to the 12 lb FAR-101
      exempt limit on that one. So it's unlkely that EOSS could carry any
      "hitchikers" weighing over 500 - 600 gm.

      But there may be some others with spare weight budget, or your group
      could
      bring along its own balloon and payloads. Rest assured that the GPSL
      teams
      will not rest until all the payloads are recovered. Just be sure you
      have
      a 2m ham band beacon, DF or APRS, aboard. Mark will be overseeing freq
      coordination.

      This year's GPSL is being monthered by Mark Conner, N9XTN, of NSTAR out
      of
      Nebraska. He's cc'ed on this email, so he should be getting your echo.
      If you will flying, place an order for He with Mark.

      I'd encourage your team to prepare a brief (15 - 20 minute) presentation
      on your startup experiences. There will be a number of amateur balloon
      groups there who would be delighted to work with nearby Space Grant
      Colleges. I gave a pitch on that topic at last year's GPSL in KS.

      73 de Mike Manes W5VSI
      Prez EOSS, Colorado

      shermane2001 wrote:

      > Hi, we are a relatively new group based in NYC (Medgar Evers College,
      > CUNY), MECSAT. (We actually launch in upstate NY and Northern
      > Vermont.) We got our feet wet at the Colorado BalloonSAT workshop last
      > summer and started our launch program right after. We did receive
      > information about the GPSL from our state Space Grant and we're
      > interested in participating. I tried to email the contact person but
      > for some reason the email bounced. Can we still participate? We would
      > be willing to partner with someone as well since we don't really know
      > the area.

      Einstein
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2005
        Hi,

        Not sure why the e-mail bounced, but thanks for putting your message on the
        GPSL list.

        You're more than welcome to participate in this year's GPSL. The groups
        flying this year are probably going to be full-up on their own payload
        strings, but we'll certainly provide mutual aid for tracking and recovery.

        There's not a lot to know about the region for balloon chasing - one-mile
        road grids and few trees make it pretty easy in relative terms for recovery.

        Be sure to let us know the details of what you plan to fly as the date gets
        closer. At some point in the next few weeks we'll start the frequency and
        time slot coordination process. We may have a lot of balloons in the air at
        once this year!

        BTW, how did you hear about the GPSL?

        Hi, we are a relatively new group based in NYC (Medgar Evers College, CUNY),
        MECSAT. (We actually launch in upstate NY and Northern
        Vermont.) We got our feet wet at the Colorado BalloonSAT workshop last
        summer and started our launch program right after. We did receive
        information about the GPSL from our state Space Grant and we're interested
        in participating. I tried to email the contact person but for some reason
        the email bounced. Can we still participate? We would be willing to partner
        with someone as well since we don't really know the area.
      • Ralph Wallio, W0RPK
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
          Dr. Shermane A Austin, KC2NAZ
          Associate Professor - Physical, Environmental And Computer Sciences
          Medgar Evers College, The City University of New York (CUNY)

          Dr. Austin,

          Thanks for introducing us to Medgar Evers College MECSAT high altitude
          balloon program. I look forward to MECSAT participation during GPSL-2005
          this summer. Continue to check for new details at
          http://www.superlaunch.org/.

          FYI, a gathering in the Washington, D.C. area of high altitude balloonists
          has recently been announced. See http://patkilroy.com/simsat/symposium/ for
          more information about this symposium at the NASA Goddard Space Flight
          Center in Greenbelt, MD.

          I Googled 'balloon' from http://www.mec.cuny.edu/default.asp to find your
          MECSAT web page at http://nrts.mec.cuny.edu/mecsat/ but my attempts to
          connect have been refused. With your permission I would like to add MECSAT
          to my ballooning links page at
          http://users.crosspaths.net/~wallio/HABLinks.html if your page is
          accessible.

          Given notice of your future MECSAT flights I will be happy to add them to
          our collective Launch Announcements at
          http://users.crosspaths.net/wallio/ARHAB%20Launch%20Announcements.htm.

          You and your students may also be interested in our collective Amateur Radio
          High Altitude Ballooning Records maintained at
          http://users.crosspaths.net/wallio/RECORDS.htm. You are welcome to submit
          entries for past and future MECSAT flights.

          TNX es 73 de Ralph Wallio, W0RPK
          wallio@...
          http://users.crosspaths.net/wallio/
          Hubbert's Peak - The Mother of all Perfect Storms
        • PAUL VERHAGE
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
            Are you looking at having a BalloonSat launched or a full-up tracker?

            I can arrange to carry a BalloonSat.

            Paul

            >>> shermane@... 03/26/05 4:30 PM >>>