Revised GPSL flight announcement

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
      I decided not to put in freq/band information as it was long enough as is,
      but did add a sentence about student experiments to indicate there is a
      public service aspect to this. The short version is more for something like
      QST's "Strays".

      For a picture, I'll probably submit a higher-resolution version of this
      unless someone has another suggestion:
      http://www.nstar.org/NSTAR/NSTAR04D-launch.jpg

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      Long version:

      The fifth annual Great Plains Super Launch (GPSL) will be held July 1-3,
      2005, in Omaha, Nebraska, hosted by Nebraska Stratospheric Amateur Radio
      (NSTAR). GPSL 2005 will bring together Amateur Radio High Altitude
      Ballooning groups to share information and participate in simultaneous
      flights.

      Friday, July 1st, features a conference which will cover technology,
      techniques and accomplishments in the community. The Super Launch on
      Saturday morning will involve several simultaneous flights which will be
      launched, tracked and recovered all within a few hours. Sunday is the
      alternate flight date if Saturday is unfavorable.

      Amateur Radio High Altitude Ballooning uses lightweight balloon-borne
      payloads which are tracked by radio, recovered and then reused on future
      flights. Payloads usually contain GPS receivers and report position to
      ground stations using Amateur Radio’s APRS (Automatic Position Reporting
      System). Payloads can also include cameras, scientific instruments, and
      radio equipment for communications experiments. Many ballooning groups fly
      student-designed experiments as part of their missions.

      Flights frequently achieve near-space altitudes of 80,000 feet or higher,
      endure very cold temperatures often lower than -70°F and atmospheric
      pressure less than 1% of that at the earth's surface. Flight distance can
      vary from a few to several hundred miles depending on winds aloft, and the
      flight’s path is predicted before launch. Amateur Radio High Altitude
      Balloon flights in the USA adhere to FAA regulations for unmanned free
      balloons.

      Participation in GPSL 2005 is open to everyone interested in Amateur Radio
      High Altitude Ballooning regardless of experience in either Amateur Radio or
      ballooning. Updated GPSL 2005 information will be posted at
      http://www.superlaunch.org/. Direct questions to Mark Conner, N9XTN, via
      n9xtn@....

      Short version:

      July 1-3, 2005: Fifth annual Great Plains Super Launch (GPSL), Omaha, NE.
      Amateur Radio High Altitude Ballooning conference on Friday, July 1, and
      multiple simultaneous balloon flights on Saturday. Backup flight date is
      Sunday. See http://www.superlaunch.org for more information or contact Mark
      Conner N9XTN at n9xtn@....
    • paul.verhage@boiseschools.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
        > For a picture, I'll probably submit a higher-resolution version of this
        > unless someone has another suggestion:
        > http://www.nstar.org/NSTAR/NSTAR04D-launch.jpg

        Oh good, that's not the one of me falling.

        ;=)