K6RPT-11 chart

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 14, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 65 KB
    Here is another altitude chart for K6RPT-11, with the plots on the X axis scaled in time.  This prevents the data gaps from plotting too close together.  With a little work one could compute and annotate sunrise/sunset times at the balloon's location, but dunno if/when I'll be able to do that.

    Message 2 of 5 , Dec 14, 2011
      Hi Mark,

      I did this already and it's pretty close with the sun rises and sets.

      The only anomaly I see is that first hill after the initial float.

      I need to see what the cloud cover was like and where it was during that time interval.  I'm guessing cloud cover or snow ground cover at initial float then a area of no clouds, then cloud cover again.

      Joe WB9SBD
      Sig
      The Original Rolling Ball Clock
      Idle Tyme
      Idle-Tyme.com
      http://www.idle-tyme.com

      On 12/14/2011 10:48 AM, Mark Conner wrote: Here is another altitude chart for K6RPT-11, with the plots on the X axis scaled in time.  This prevents the data gaps from plotting too close together.  With a little work one could compute and annotate sunrise/sunset times at the balloon's location, but dunno if/when I'll be able to do that.

      Message 3 of 5 , Dec 14, 2011
        Well, consider that K5RPT-11 launched not much before sunset, so its
        ascent and float at about 95K' was in the dark. That first "hill",
        ascending to 100K', occurred during the day Monday when it got a gob
        of solar flux. If there'd been APRS coverage from LOS about 350 mi
        offshore from NJ until it got picked up in the Azores, we might have
        seen a similar diurnal altitude variation.

        73 de Mike W5VSI

          Message 5 of 5 , Dec 14, 2011
            Oh, that little bump at about 1030Z? Could be local barometric pressure
            high that it passed over. Don't have the situation map going back to then.
            Maybe Mark 'XTN does.
            73 de Mike W5VSI