Re: [Balloon_Sked] Re: [GPSL] Re: Autonomous Gliders dropped from balloons

  • wb8elk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2011
      Robert,

        Robert, very well put. Anything that we can all do to help each other out to wade through government restrictions to legally actually allow the pure research that I and others truly enjoy is what it's all about. I must say that I was excited to learn of a possible FAA yes answer to this kind of operation over the continental airspace after all the years of being told no and having to go to great lengths (such as launching from the Gulf of Mexico) to actually do a balloon-launched return glider. Although the FAA response indicated doesn't appear to me to be a resounding YES.

       Interesting interpretation of the "Advisory" for R/C aircraft though...if the word "advisory" means just that (and often in the FAA it actually becomes a "rule" after a certain amount of time)...that may imply that an R/C plane being flown under ground operator control via R/C from high altitude may be possible with that kind of interpretation (we controlled our R/C rocket glider from 30 miles distance while it was 75,000 feet up via a 900 MHz data modem), although a completely autonomous R/C plane seems to imply the aforementioned UAS rules. This has given me something to dig into and find out more. I've found these discussions to be fascinating.

      If I were doing this kind of flight I'd probably just make the drive to Canada to avoid these issues now that it appears that they don't have UAS restrictions like in the US.
      If there is any future discussion on this topic, lets keep it on GPSL.....please remove the Balloon_Sked group from the reply....apologies for initially copying that group.