HABITAT SkyLab another successful flight

  • Don Pfister
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2004
      As requested by the Johnson County Radio Amateurs Club, after their auction
      today, we launched another balloon flight from the Marshall Ensor Farm Museum
      (http://www.w9bsp-w9ua.org/ and http://kansasdar.org/olathe/Ensor.html). Due to
      the high ground winds, we launched a 350 gram balloon between 1 and 1:30 p.m.

      It landed E of Lone Jack, MO about 45 ft. across 3 trees. After much work
      (several scrapes, sticks and other fun with stickers, thorns and tree bark - not
      to mention the laughter pains) we got all three packages and the parachute down.

      As I remember our max altitude was around 42,000 ft. Our max speed was around 92
      mph.

      Personally, I had my hands full and didn't get any photos. As photos become
      available I'll post them to the web site(s).

      Today was a first for us, in that, we had as many Rino trackers as we did APRS
      trackers. The Rinos sure make ground recovery very nice. With the Rino 120 on
      sale at Best Buy, it makes a very handy GPS receiver, with graphic map/display,
      and the FRS is just icing on the cake. ;-) A simple serial cable can tie into a
      D7/D700 or PC (or TNC) for GPS output, giving both Rino and APRS.

      More info tomorrow,
      Don KA0JLF

      --

      [Signature File]
      Name=Don Pfister KA0JLF

      Founder of HABITAT SkyLab
      (High Altitude Basic Investigation Testing And Tracking)
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2004
        Hi Don,

        Congrats on yet another successful flight and recovery.

        BTW, wots a "Rino"?

        73 de Mike W5VSI
        EOSS

        Don Pfister wrote:

        > As requested by the Johnson County Radio Amateurs Club, after their auction
        > today, we launched another balloon flight from the Marshall Ensor Farm Museum
        > (http://www.w9bsp-w9ua.org/ and http://kansasdar.org/olathe/Ensor.html). Due to
        > the high ground winds, we launched a 350 gram balloon between 1 and 1:30 p.m.
        >
        > It landed E of Lone Jack, MO about 45 ft. across 3 trees. After much work
        > (several scrapes, sticks and other fun with stickers, thorns and tree bark - not
        > to mention the laughter pains) we got all three packages and the parachute down.
        >
        > As I remember our max altitude was around 42,000 ft. Our max speed was around 92
        > mph.
        >
        > Personally, I had my hands full and didn't get any photos. As photos become
        > available I'll post them to the web site(s).
        >
        > Today was a first for us, in that, we had as many Rino trackers as we did APRS
        > trackers. The Rinos sure make ground recovery very nice. With the Rino 120 on
        > sale at Best Buy, it makes a very handy GPS receiver, with graphic map/display,
        > and the FRS is just icing on the cake. ;-) A simple serial cable can tie into a
        > D7/D700 or PC (or TNC) for GPS output, giving both Rino and APRS.
        >
        > More info tomorrow,
        > Don KA0JLF
        >
        > --
        >
        > [Signature File]
        > Name=Don Pfister KA0JLF
        >
        > Founder of HABITAT SkyLab
        > (High Altitude Basic Investigation Testing And Tracking)

        Einstein
      • Don Pfister
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2004