9975Re: [GPSL] Re: Amateur Balloonist Code of Conduct

    Jun 3, 2011
      I suspect that any ADS-B transponder must be type certified by ARINC, and
      it must have a current green tag - a $250 annual cost for a simpler Mode C
      xponder. And then you's still have to deal with the 250W peak pulse power
      at 1 GHz - try keeping >that< out of your 3V logic level goodies!

      I think the smoother route would be for ARTCCs and TRACONs to selectively
      allow entry of balloon APRS data to appear on the controllers' scopes. Might
      be possible now that the FAA modernization bill has passed. But it would take
      more than a few isolated balloonatic voices crying in the wilderness to make
      it happen. But that's a whole 'nother email thread, ain't it?

      73 de Mike W5VSI