8811Re: [GPSL] Trees

    Nov 2, 2010
      Painting pole, thanks.  I was thinking it was for electrical work, but those are expensive.  So I'm going to look into painting and pool cleaning poles.

      Paul

      On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:

      We have had more fortune than some of Howard's exploits - in 40-some flights we have had only two tree landings (and Paul was there for one of them).  Most of eastern Nebraska and western Iowa is blessedly free of trees when compared to the Midwest or South.

      Even so, we carry an extensible pole (believe it's primarily for painting, also used by an NSTAR member to hang Christmas lights) with a hook on the end.  On the first tree landing flight, Paul was able to climb the tree some distance and snag it with a short length of the pole.  The very next flight, we landed in a tree yet again about 30 feet up.  We were just able to snag one of the payloads and bend the entire tree over (they were tall but spindly) to pull the entire flight train out.

      I have had thoughts of including ~50 ft of line terminated with a lead weight hanging from the bottom payload.  The idea is that that line would perhaps hang down within easier reach and allow the recovery team to pull the flight string out of the tree.  Or, if one were really good at such things, have the line spooled inside a payload and released when it detected that it's landed.  The weight would hopefully fall somewhat cleanly through the branches to ground level.  Of course Murphy could play havoc with either solution and you end up still needing one of the other methods.

      A chain saw with sufficient gasoline and oil is probably the most reliable solution.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 19:52, L. Paul Verhage <nearsys@...> wrote:

      My latest flight took three hours to remove from trees.  What is everyone carrying for tree removal?