      From: BASE <basedepauw@...>
      To: GPSL@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, November 1, 2010 7:35:13 AM
      Subject: Re: [GPSL] Trees

      Paul,

      Here's what goes with me on every tracking and recovery:

      1. A 40 foot extended Wonder Pole (http://www.wonderpole.com/wp640_630.html) with two special ends.  One is a hook made from 3/8 inch threaded rod.  The second is an old pruning saw blade.

      2. The EZHang system (http://ezhang.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=1) (a Hyperdog Sling Shot, Zebco 33 reel, one ounce lead shots, and tennis balls, 250 feet of 300 pound test line).

      3. A rope saw (mine is a Sears model that is no longer available, but here is a similar product http://www.treehelp.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=GM-CS-48)

      4. Corona Clipper Razor Tooth Pruning Saw

      5. An assortment of extra ropes (approximately 200 feet) for extending the rope saw and/or pulling on limbs/payload strings with a stronger rope.

      I do have a chain saw and axe that I have brought to recovery sites on the return trip, if chain saw is a viable option.  On a couple of occasions, I have hired a tree climber to recover the flight system.

      In my experience, three hours to get out of a significant tree is not too bad.  My son and I spent seven hours on Saturday (after three hours on the flight day) working on retrieving the remaining radio and parachute from BASE 53.  Still need to make one last return trip (ran out of daylight) to finish the retrieval.

      Howard, KC9QBN
      BASE-DePauw