7877Re: [GPSL] 5 Years from Now

    Aug 1, 2010
      We thought of this probably 15 years ago,  And even contacted ohhh say 50 Funeral services around us here about developing such a service,and not one was interested.

      I thought about it again a few years ago, and did some more searching on it.  as far as rules and regulations, and there really isn't any.

      The only restrictions I found are two.  One is similar to our catch all Far rule about not making a hazard to thos below.  Like if you were to spread at a low altitude over a large group of people.

      As far as the Feds go the only rule they had was that if you were to spread over federal lands Like National parks etc.  you need to get a permit for it.

      But also in doing this ressearch I did find one guy that is doing it already commercially.

      But at a HUGE cost.

      He only sends a few ounces of ashes aloft, and charges several thousand dollars for the service!

      Plus he doen't have a clue as to how the balloons work,  i love this quote,

      So what happens to the balloon?

      After its release, the balloon travels to an altitude of approximately five miles. At that height the temperature is 40 degrees below zero. The balloon simple crystalizes and fractures, scattering the ashes to the four winds.

      Here is his web page,
      http://eternalascent.com/index.html

      Take Care Everyone!

      Joe WB9SBD
      Sig
      The Original Rolling Ball Clock
      Idle Tyme
      Idle-Tyme.com
      http://www.idle-tyme.com

      On 8/1/2010 4:46 AM, Keith Kaiser wrote:
      NSV flew ashes inside the balloon, hence distributed ashes of my dad this way a couple of years ago. Deb and I expect the same when our time comes.

      On Jul 31, 2010, at 10:06 PM, Zack Clobes wrote:

      Regarding the scattering of ashes, I believe the EPA has some issues with that.  There are various pilots/aircraft that are setup to do such a thing.  Several years ago I stumbled across a website (don't remember what I was actually looking for...) that was talking about it, but they kept referring to it as "theoretical" since in many circumstances it would be illegal to do so.

      If you did sea-side scattering, you probably wouldn't have as many issues with polluting, but then you'd somehow have to get the video back to the family.

      Nevertheless, if I wind up cremated, I expect someone on this forum to sneak at least part of me into near space... ;-)

      Zack Clobes, W0ZC
      Project: Traveler
      www.projecttraveler .org

      On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Mike Manes <mrmanes@gmail. com> wrote:

      Hi Paul,

      Heck, we ALL talk about near space - after all, we did that all Friday a
      couple of weeks ago! So is this part of your degree program or what?

      Note that Space Data Corp has turned a decent profit from it's medium-term
      vented latex floaters carrying proprietary cell sites. Space Data started
      out considering station-keeping long-duration balloons, but soon discovered
      that balloon volume, weight and cost soars exponentially with weight, thus
      driving them towards small latex bags like we're used to flying. The fact
      that they keep the sky full of their balloons over the area of interest, an
      have them networked, pretty well deals with the random flight trajectory
      issue.

      DoD is becoming quite interested in using near space and lower balloons
      for remote sensing, communications and tactical purposes; maybe we in ARHAB
      might have inspired 'em? Of course, NASA's Columbia SBF has been launching
      "Buicks with 4 scientists" into near space for decades - but those flights
      ain't cheap.

      EOSS has flown several in situ atmospheric CO2 and CH4 profilers for NOAA, and
      some of the results have been quite revealing. And astronomers have become
      interested in flying sub-orbital telescopes - almost as good birds like
      Hubble, but a LOT cheaper to fly, and you can get 'em back to fly again
      another day. A good example was the microwave background survey experiment
      that flew under a ZPB from Sweden to Canada a few years ago.

      You mentioned ZPB's as the way to achieve long-duration flights. However,
      the Space Data technique seems to work just dandy. With newer polymer
      films coming out, super-pressure balloons may be the next wave of floaters.
      SPBs don't "burn" ballast to stay afloat, and the envelopes can be made
      quite UV-resistant. NASA has been working with AeroStar to develop SPBs of
      the size they're accustomed to flying, but the stresses required to hold
      gas pressure with 2000 kg neck loads are formidable. So I foresee some
      ARHAB group taking the initiative to make and fly a small SPB by 2015.
      Hmmm ... just WHO will it be?

      And for sure, we can expect to see more for-profit organizations such as
      Space Data trotting out new sub-orbital services, using commercial and/or
      Part 15 RF links.

      Forecasting the future is risky business - it's always easier to forecast
      in retrospect :=).

      73 de Mike W5VSI

      Mike Manes mrmanes@gmail. com Tel: 303-979-4899