      From: "Mike Manes" <mrmanes@...>
      Sent 1/31/2010 9:52:41 PM
      To: "L. Paul Verhage" <nearsys@...>
      Cc: GPSL@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [GPSL] Geiger Counter

      Hi Paul,
      Looking over the SparkFun device, I don't see any means for the uP to
      control the G-M tube HV bias; Q1-Q2 comprise a free-running ~50 Hz power
      oscillator driving a step-up xformer that feeds a voltage tripler,
      D2-D4.  G-M tube discharge current is limited by R7-8 (11 meg).
      The R7-8 x C6 time constant is about 110 ms, which is a lot longer
      than the G-M tube quench time.
      But I think you have a good idea to use the uP to control the HV
      supply.  Not sure I've seen that approach taken before.
      BTW, I still think you should run it thru your altitude chamber
      before flying it.  Corona discharge could as a minimum ruin your
      data, if not your hardware.  I've seen it happen!
      73 de Mike W5VSI
      On 1/31/2010 19:33, L. Paul Verhage wrote: > > >
    • Show all 34 messages in this topic