2699Re: [GPSL] FAR 101 Line Strength

  • Brek Brixius
    Oct 1, 2006
      Thanks to everyone for their comments on line strength.  Just to clarify, as I read it - it FAR 101 doesn't say you can't fly line stronger than 50#.  It just says that if you do - 101 applies to you.  I think I will probably use Spectra line rather than the dacron I already have.

      101.1 Applicability.

      (a) This part prescribes rules governing the operation in the
      United States, of the following:
      .
      .
      (4) Except as provided for in ยง101.7, any unmanned free balloon
      that-
      .
      .
      (iv) Uses a rope or other device for suspension of the payload that
           requires an impact force of more than 50 pounds to separate the
           suspended payload from the balloon.
      Brek.

      Mike Manes <manes@...> wrote:
      Hi Will,

      FAR 101 stipulates "impact force", not tensile strength. From
      FAR 101.1.a.4:

      (iv) Uses a rope or other device for suspension of the payload that
      requires an impact force of more than 50 pounds to separate the suspended
      payload from the balloon.

      That term is also used in 101.35 referring to trailing wire antennas.

      I've never found a technical definition for "impact force", but the term
      does imply some dynamics rather than the static conditions where tensile
      strength is evaluated. The object of this requirement is ensure that
      a balloon flight string will sever in the event of a collision with an
      aircraft. I've swagged the impact acceleration in such an event to be well
      in excess of 10 G's - meaning that 500# tensile cord should meet that
      requirement.

      Now, folks who have used 50 lb tensile strength cord on normal ARHAB
      payloads have (or will) experience the disappointment of seeing their
      balloon soar skyward, unburdened by the payload string remaining on the
      surface.

      73 de Mike W5VSI

      Holmes, Will wrote:
      > You mentioned 110 pound kite string, and that made me think of something I have been wondering about for a while. FAR 101 states has something about the test strength of string connecting packages. I believe the strength it states is 50 pound test.
      >
      > How do the different groups interpret this and what do you use?
      >
      > Will Holmes
      > Taylor University

      Mike Manes manes@attglobal. net Tel: 303-979-4899
      "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not more so." A. Einstein