      From: "Michael Hojnowski kd2eat@... [GPSL]" <GPSL-noreply@yahoogroups.com>
      To: 'GPSL Balloon Reflector' <GPSL@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:32 AM
      Subject: Re: [GPSL] Parachute positioning and balloon interference

      I'm not presently using a vented chute, though I like the idea.

      On our last launch - 150g balloon + 107g payload, it landed with 38 grams of balloon still attached,  If the chute was working fully, our descent rate should have been something like 5.0m/s.  Our actual was more like 8.9 m/s.  As it happens, our payload was fine with that, and in fact, I was ASSuming 8 m/s based on experience.  Still, it sure would be nice to work out this problem.

      I like the idea of the tension release, especially if we can realize it in 20g.  The idea definitely warrants some experimentation.

      Mike / KD2EAT

      On 8/12/2014 2:20 PM, Barry Sloan wrote:

      First thing I’m wondering is whether your chute has an air dump opening at the top. If it doesn’t I’m guessing that the chute is often swinging side to side to allow the trapped air to escape with such a light payload attached so close to the chute and attaching the payload further away may make it harder for the chute to do this. I don’t see the remains of the balloon flying around and tugging and/or hitting the chute affecting it much, but if the remains weigh as much, or much more, than your light payload they would certain increase the descent speed over what the speed with just the payload would be.

      Barry VE6SBS