      From: GPSL@yahoogroups.com [mailto:GPSL@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Michael Hojnowski kd2eat@... [GPSL]
      Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:55 AM
      To: GPSL Balloon Reflector
      Subject: [GPSL] Parachute positioning and balloon interference

      Hi Gang,

      I've done several launches where we observed the descent rate to be MUCH
      higher than the projections based on various parachute calculators.
      I've grown suspicious that the parachute's function is being severely
      hampered by the remains of the balloon flying around and tugging and/or
      hitting the chute on the way down.

      I've seen some mechanical means used to release the balloon when lift is
      removed, but we're flying very light (100g) payloads. I haven't seen
      anything that would work with something so light.

      Presently we're flying with the payload directly attached to the chute
      with short cords (maybe 18"), and the parachute then connected to the
      balloon by a much longer 10' long cord.

      Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!
      Mike / KD2EAT

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic