13793Re: [GPSL] Gamma Ray / X-Ray Detector Payload

  • Jim Hannon
    Feb 14, 2014
      Bitwings should have a built in intensifying screen. So would be much
      better at detecting gamma rays than plain film. The screen is something
      that glows in visible light when struck by x rays (gamma rays) for the
      most part this light is what exposes an x ray film.

      Problem is the radiation level at altitude are not that much more than
      at ground level. If an hour at altitude could expose the film enough to
      see then a few weeks on the ground would do the same.

      I assume you want something inexpensive but you would get better results
      flying a Geiger counter.

      Jim Hannon

      --
      WB0TXL