13631Re: [GPSL] heaters

  • Michael
    Oct 15, 2013
      I agree Zack. If the radio itself is well insulated and in the same space as the batteries, the inefficiencies of the radio along with battery resistance can help keep things warm. If we had perfect insulators, the whole system would overheat. If the capsule is painted black and in the sun, you can leverage solar heating. I think a Pandora's box of insulation (layers) with solar externally and a bit of mass for heat capacitance internally would yield the ability to stay warm even on long duration flights.

      --Michael

      On Oct 15, 2013, at 12:24 PM, Zack Clobes <zclobes@...> wrote:

      Good insulation goes a long way unless you're talking about long duration flights or some other non-traditional scenario.  Old-school linear regulators typically put off enough heat to keep things well above freezing, at least for the majority of the flight.

      Zack Clobes, W0ZC
      Project: Traveler
      www.projecttraveler.org

      On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Hanson, Douglas R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 63800 <douglas.r.hanson@...> wrote:
      Would someone please provide suggestions on keeping circuits warm at high altitude? For example, a battery powered on-board heater that is photocell activated. What specific technology is involved? Thank you.

      Ryan, KJ6YXG

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic